The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange Noise

Glosphil

You know the sound you get when water goes through your raidator at home and its got air bubbles in it? sort of squelchy bubbly water sound? lol

When I start my car and rev it a bit, I get a sound just like that. Sounds like its coming from the dash... air con isnt on, not turning the steering wheel or anything... am baffled...

Any ideas??

Ok think I may of found this, never occured to search for a noise, lol.

My expansion bottle (white bottle in front of rad?) is usually empty of has a tiny bit of fluid in it. Am I supposed to put liquid in it? I thought it was to empty out from the rad if there's too much in it.

One thing I did do, a day prior to noticing this noice, is remove the rad cap, it was full to the top, so put it on again.

What do I do?

Thanks

it sucks fluid into the system when theres not enough in it too, thats why there is a min and a max line on there, top it up to the max and wont be sucking in air causing the noise ure describing

Absolutely no need for the ultra expensive 4 life stuff, any branded ethylene glycol based anti freeze is fine. The 4 life just has a red chemical in it that changes colour if the coolant becomes acidic through age. Buy cheap stuff and change it every 3 years!

Why didn't I find this out 3 years ago! I must have spent £100 on 4 life by now.

Great info as always Chris :thumbs:

Why didn't I find this out 3 years ago! I must have spent £100 on 4 life by now.

Thanks as well, my mate told me the other day that the 4life should be used as it had special additives in it, I'll be ignoring that and getting some of the normal stuff that Chris mentioned :)

Cheers Chris :thumbs:

I am a bit worried now! When I mfirst got my Supe, the water bottle was at a very low level.

After posting up on here I was told to use the red stuff. Cost £17 from Toyota!!

Should I be looking at draining the full system down? How difficult is it too??

H.

You can use ordinary ethylene glycol antifreeze to top up a system with 4 life in it.

More great info from Chris, I didn't realise you could do that and I bet a few people didn't either and have just replaced the whole lot. :thumbs: