The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tales of a 6-Speed Conversion (and full BPU)

b.weeks

Hi all,

Just thought I would share my experiences of a 6-speed Getrag manual conversion. Have been at both Jezzy's for the 6-speed conversion, and TurboFit for servicing and fitting the blue DEFI boost and EGT gauges on the A-pillar. First cat was removed and boost up'd to 1.2 bar.

So, on Saturday I got my car back with both the manual and more boost :-) I know having the full BPU and manual conversion done at the same time muddies the water, but here ya go.

So, here's my summary of the conversion in particular as I know there's been a lot of interest in this recently.

PRO's:

- Have more confidence with the backend at round abouts for example. Not entirely sure why, perhaps because you can feed the power in gently on the gear change with the clutch, rather than the bigger step down from 3 to 2 in the auto (manually shifting)

- Power is not as linear, which makes it feel more "sporty" - where I would say the auto was more of a continous power feel which was more like the Starship Enterprise ...

- More gear changes = more fun (and more "whooshes"!)

CON's:

- Some gears seem quite close together and easy to get the wrong one - maybe I just need to get used to it!

- Rattle sound when come off off throttle sometimes and at gear change - is this the "sporty" clutch (heard lots of sports clutches at Santa Pod and they REALLY rattle) or perhaps I'm just missing some sound proofing that you get in the regular manual? Unless Jezzy left a spanner in their ;-) Unfortunately I haven't driven another Getrag to compare.

And so far I've only forgotten to change gear the once! :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

Guest Nicholas
Hi all,

Just thought I would share my experiences of a 6-speed Getrag manual conversion. Have been at both Jezzy's for the 6-speed conversion, and TurboFit for servicing and fitting the blue DEFI boost and EGT gauges on the A-pillar. First cat was removed and boost up'd to 1.2 bar.

So, on Saturday I got my car back with both the manual and more boost :-) I know having the full BPU and manual conversion done at the same time muddies the water, but here ya go.

So, here's my summary of the conversion in particular as I know there's been a lot of interest in this recently.

PRO's:

- Have more confidence with the backend at round abouts for example. Not entirely sure why, perhaps because you can feed the power in gently on the gear change with the clutch, rather than the bigger step down from 3 to 2 in the auto (manually shifting)

- Power is not as linear, which makes it feel more "sporty" - where I would say the auto was more of a continous power feel which was more like the Starship Enterprise ...

- More gear changes = more fun (and more "whooshes"!)

CON's:

- Some gears seem quite close together and easy to get the wrong one - maybe I just need to get used to it!

- Rattle sound when come off off throttle sometimes and at gear change - is this the "sporty" clutch (heard lots of sports clutches at Santa Pod and they REALLY rattle) or perhaps I'm just missing some sound proofing that you get in the regular manual? Unless Jezzy left a spanner in their ;-) Unfortunately I haven't driven another Getrag to compare.

And so far I've only forgotten to change gear the once! :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

Which clutch have you got Ben?

Its definately something you get use to! I use to pull it out of gear and try putting it back in gear again as having the B&M short shifter I always thought it wasn't in right, but you'll get there.. Definately agree that its much more fun, plus they don't drone as much I feel..

Only con i'd say is being sat in traffic!

The rattle is probably an aftermarket clutch and/or flywheel (or possibly a worn one, but that would have been noticed during the install). The stock one shouldn't rattle.

The gear change does get a little getting used to. It took a few weeks to get used to it when I first got mine. However I later found the shifter mechanism was badly worn, after repalcing it all shifting is much more positive.

The gear change does get a little getting used to. It took a few weeks to get used to it when I first got mine.

I can see why a few manuals got their gears changes wrong at Santa Pod now :-) At the time was thinking how hard can it be?!?! ;-)

I can see why a few manuals got their gears changes wrong at Santa Pod now :-) At the time was thinking how hard can it be?!?! ;-)

Changing gear on the road and trying fast shifts on the drag strip are two very different things. It's not just Supra's that have problems with this, it's a very common challenge for any manual car at the drag strip. Quicker shift = quicker time so we all try and cut the shift time down as much as possible... which unless you do a perfect shift can result in a missed gear. It just takes practice.

Glad you're enjoying it Ben. :D The clutch itself was a new OEM one, but the flywheel was out of the donor vehicle, and i believe it was a lightened stock one, same as mine. My own clutch sounds like someones thrown a bag of bolts in there when i'm idling. I've heard of a few people with the annoying rattle when using lightened flywheels.

Congratulations Ben :thumbs:

If it's a new OEM clutc you shouldn't get any noise from this, but if the flywheel is a lightened one as Jezz says, this will be the cause of the rattle at tickover.

As said already you'll get use to the gear changes in time.

Are there actually any benefits of a lightened flywheel over a stock OEM one? Not manual, but would be interested to know nonetheless. Just a minor weight saving?

Greg

I believe their lightened weight allows the engine to rev quicker.