The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake discs lifespan.

RedM

How long do they last? I've had mine on for about 14 months. They aren't warped and look to be in good condition. Is there anything I can look for to determine what condition they are in?

I'm going to replace my pads just because I feel I should not because I'm suffering from poor stoppage and was wondering if both pads and discs should be replaced at the same time or if discs, as a rule, tend to outlast the pads.

How long do they last? I've had mine on for about 14 months.

I should hope that they last alot longer than 14 months, just ordered a set of rear j-specs along with pads all round and don't envisage replacing them for rather a long time! :blink:

You should be able to tell quite easily how much life is left in the pads (and discs) from a quick wheel removal. Obviously you will score the discs if your pads are down to the metal, but you'd know that from the lack of braking power and noise.

I'd forget it until your next service mate rather than thinking you just should do for time sake.

Discs normally have the minimum allowable thickness stamped on the edge, I think it's in the manual too.

Sometimes you get uneven wear grooves on the discs which isn't good especially if you're fitting new pads. A little is okay but it can be really bad which can mean a disc change or you can get them skimmed if they're thick enough.

If you check the condition of the pads/discs you should always check the inside too as you don't always get even wear!

Brembo OEM's (UK setup front and rear) + 500 miles of largely hard country road driving = warped :(

They're just not up to my aggressive Hawk HPS+ pads. Gonna try some genuine Toyota discs next to see how they last before splashing out on exotic discs.

Warped discs is felt through the brake pedal as a juddering under braking.

Cheers,

Brian.