The mkiv Supra Owners Club

god i hate fibre glass

csmadmatt

A while back i bought some oem rear spats and some blitz replica side skirts, well had them painted and afterwards took them home put them in the backgarden whilst i went to work and when i came back i was shocked.

Both items had warped [sAD][/sAD] so i thought stuff it il struggle through and try to fit them anyway BIG mistake they look liek a proverbial brick house in the back garden! now my only option is to blend them in and have the whole car resprayed [ANGRY][/ANGRY]

Just got off the phone to my mate who is a sprayer at a local body shop and he has told me providing i take the spoiler off and give the car a quick flat with 400s he will respray it for £70 BARGIN.

Were using the left over paint that is getting binned when the new law come in shortly about water based paints so we will be mixing our own concoction(sp) to see what pretty colour we can come up with (still red of course).

So a bad situation has turned almost good as the car was faded in some places anyway with a few imperfections

I was using automotive sticker flex thingy ma jig :D robbed from the spray shop which is painting the car its held my previous skirts on bmw just fine.

should be all smoothed on wednesday ready for the spray shop il get some pics up once smoothed (before paint)

Do you know that they fitted perfectly before you left them? a fresh Fiberglas molding will warp if taken straight from the mold and left in the sun, and especially if its thin, badly fitting kits should be fettled to get them to dry fit as near as possible before ever attempting to fit permanently on the car, and if you use Sikaflex, it needs to have the part securely fixed for 24 hours, then you shouldn't have any problems.

lol i didnt have it on then.

and it was stuck in place reinforced for 8 hours in a warehouse at 40 degrees C

and they were left in the sun when i left and wilst i was at work we had a terrential downpour :(

il learn from my mistakes its going to the body shop now to be blended in and fully repainted.

should look good once it's all sprayed (if it's the right colour obviously :D)

not exactly smoothed cos you can still see the edges of the skirts where they join the bodywork.

I know but thats what i meant.

and yes it will be having a full respray in possibly a metalic red ive been told taht for no extra cost he could put a very slight gold pearl in it for me but im unsure how that would look.

as for people asking if i can do theres not a chance i dont mind screwing up on mine as its my car but somebody elses not a chance:(

Well ive pretty much finished prepping the car now just need to apply some stopper to some places around the car and remove the spoiler ready for paint (spoiler will be going back on afterwards)

Ill get some pictures of how it looks in the morning (light) as today i was fighting the rain and wind to get it sorted and completely forgot.

heres a vid of me leaving my mates after finishing for the day (was taken to send to a sxoc member who wants a blitz nur spec for his car) only posting as i like the noise it makes hope you guys do too.

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t99/csmadmatt/?action=view&current=16052007001.flv