The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advise on purchase Single T

4leks

Guys, how much decent Single Turbo Auto can be now picked up for? (Ideally UK one but I don't think there are any of them ;) )

So import.

I'm getting bonrng wz my BPU now, so fancy a bit more power. However need Auto, not manual, so target figure is about 550bhp. Was thinking of converting my one (UK TT Auto) but think it might be cheaper option to get already converted one and just sell my off. Need something with good quality conversion as I'm using it as daily driver.

What do u think? Is Single Auto realiable enough as daily driver? I'm not too concerned about the fuel bill (it is still cheaper tha to get 996 turbo) but don't want to visit garage every month to replace bits & pieces. Also what is good price for proper converted Single Auto now?

It is normally cheaper to buy an already converted car.

At that sort of power level it will need an uprated auto box, and there are few of those around. It would also need to be a T61 sized turbo with a small exducer. Any bigger will not be a nice, usable smooth drive on an auto.

There are few of these around (at least that are properly done) so it would probably be best to have a search around the site, or perhaps contact Jurgen for a price.

Thx a lot Homer.

Yeah, I know it does need to have uprated autobox wz extra cooling I believe.

I was thinking about T61 as max, maybe even T51

How reliable is single as daily driver? I don't do many miles, maybe around 10-12k per annum.

Would it be enough to service it just twice a year as I do wz my TT? I don't want her to spend 1/2 year in the garage to replace something

Thx a lot Homer.

Yeah, I know it does need to have uprated autobox wz extra cooling I believe.

I was thinking about T61 as max, maybe even T51

How reliable is single as daily driver? I don't do many miles, maybe around 10-12k per annum.

Would it be enough to service it just twice a year as I do wz my TT? I don't want her to spend 1/2 year in the garage to replace something

T61 and T51 (assuming you mean the overpriced T51 KAI) are worlds apart. The T51 is a big turbo, and is inferior to other turbo's of its size.

Reliablity is proportial to cost. If you want something ultra reliable then it'll be a fully built engine and stand alone ECU (an easy £10k+ conversion). If reliablity is your main concern then either spend the cash and get something built which you are looking for, or buy a well know car in the UK which has proven reliability.

Singles are not know for their reliabailty, even when tens of thousands are spent. Never expect to buy one and assume it will run as a stock car. They use the odd thousand here and there if things go wrong. It's a 500bhp+ car so what else would you expect, think how much it costs to run other cars in this range (High powered Ferrari's, Astons, Lamborgini, etc - they cost thousands a year just to service).

Something Jake posted recently was: Fast, Reliable, Cheap - choose two.

Never a truer word said!

T61 and T51 (assuming you mean the overpriced T51 KAI) are worlds apart. The T51 is a big turbo, and is inferior to other turbo's of its size.

Reliablity is proportial to cost. If you want something ultra reliable then it'll be a fully built engine and stand alone ECU (an easy £10k+ conversion). If reliablity is your main concern then either spend the cash and get something built which you are looking for, or buy a well know car in the UK which has proven reliability.

Singles are not know for their reliabailty, even when tens of thousands are spent. Never expect to buy one and assume it will run as a stock car. They use the odd thousand here and there if things go wrong. It's a 500bhp+ car so what else would you expect, think how much it costs to run other cars in this range (High powered Ferrari's, Astons, Lamborgini, etc - they cost thousands a year just to service).

Something Jake posted recently was: Fast, Reliable, Cheap - choose two.

Never a truer word said!

Wise words, well presented :)