The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1997 SZ - Engine Upgrades ??

Stratty

Hi Guys,

My SZ is on its way from Japan and apart from sticking a single turbo on it, can you give me some idea on what else I can do to the engine to improve performance?

I am not too clued up on the engine side of things and was thinking of doing bits and pieces to it as I go along.

Any suggestions??

Cheers

Guest Nicholas

if you're going the NA-T route you'll need a decent gearbox that will do you for a good £2,000. what's your budget?

There are a million different things you can do to the supra's engine, you need to focus on what you want, response, power or a bit of both;)

Single turbo isnt as easy as it sounds and there are a list of other mods that need to be done along with the turbo...or you will see very little gains,

For a proper single setup your looking at probably the same price you just spent on your car...and probably a lot more:D

Guest Nicholas
I probably just want to spend a couple of grand on other bits and pieces. Is the new gearbox a must if I want to put a turbo on it??

Depends on how much power you're going to run, have you done a brake down of the NA-T conversion costs yet?

Guest Nicholas
Do you think it would be better to forget the turbo for now and spend the money on other engine mods instead?

Depends on your budget matey if money's no object go NA-T new gearbox, ecu, fueling the lot.

It might be best to see what the car comes over with :)

Do you think it would be better to forget the turbo for now and spend the money on other engine mods instead?

The NA engine isn't very moddable in terms of bolt on upgrades. You can free up a few more HP with an aftermarket exhaust and decat, but thats about it.

What sort of gains are you looking for? It's 220bhp standard, probably around 230bhp with the decat. NA-T is the only way to get big gains, but you're going to be looking at an easy £7k to get it working right.

It is pretty much standard apart from a huge exhaust.

By the sounds of things, it might be better to shelve the turbo for a bit and spend a couple of grand on other ways of making it quicker. Am looking for more acceleration than top speed.

I have a full hks system with both cats removed it made quite a big difference also have an apexi intake kit.I thought about going N/A-T but have decided to (when funds allow) go the whole hog and drop the tt engine in as you probally know the tuning potential with the tt is far greater and more worthwhile than with the N/A engine.

The NA engine isn't very moddable in terms of bolt on upgrades. You can free up a few more HP with an aftermarket exhaust and decat, but thats about it.

What sort of gains are you looking for? It's 220bhp standard, probably around 230bhp with the decat. NA-T is the only way to get big gains, but you're going to be looking at an easy £7k to get it working right.

am i missing something here turbofit conversion is 4.5 k and they told me the box is good for 500bhp ????:rolleyes:

http://www.turbofit.co.uk

It is pretty much standard apart from a huge exhaust.

By the sounds of things, it might be better to shelve the turbo for a bit and spend a couple of grand on other ways of making it quicker. Am looking for more acceleration than top speed.

nos :run: :flame:

am i missing something here turbofit conversion is 4.5 k and they told me the box is good for 500bhp ????:rolleyes:

http://www.turbofit.co.uk

It's £4.5k for the turbo conversion, yes but remember they are a company and want your business. The box is not good for 500bhp. The diff and prop will need changing too as you must have a decent limited slip one with that much power. Also think about you EMS, mapping, etc... It will easily add up to £7k if you want to do it properly.

By all means fit the base kit and leave the rest as it is... but If you're spending all that money whats the point in doing a half job?

True I suppose..

The NOS sounds fun. I doubt anyone over here (Jersey) will be able to do it for me but any ideas how much that would be compared to installing a turbo??

I appreciate that you can't do a lot to the NA engine but anything to improve response and acceleration would be helpful.

Thanks for your comments guys..

One of Nics Manifolds, 2nd decat, aftermarket exhaust with a stock airbox will make it more responsive lower down the rev range. Remember these were 220bhp WHEN THEY LEFT THE FACTORY they are more likely to be 190 - 200bhp, which isnt bad for a thirteen year old car. Think about uprating the suspension to give you better handling and uprated brakes to allow you to brake later into the corner, these will also help the car go "faster"