The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying from Vine Place

Greenauto

This is where I went to get my Supra, The prices were a bit higher than average, but I feel I got a good car for the money. Just wondering what everyone elses opinion of the place was?

I'm not one to flag up problems and lay blame as I should have insisted on and checked certain things before I bought the car but has anyone else had trouble.

I bought the car knowing that the auto dash panel was a bit shoddy. I was assured that there was one on order for me. Being a trusting soul I left off phoning for a couple weeks. Tried phoning this week but couldn't get through to the bloke who sold me the car. I managed to get hold of the other director of the company through email and when I asked he said they didn't have any record of the part on order but he would see what he could do. That was a couple days ago and he hasn't mailed back to let me know when I'll get the part. Should I be worried?

The aircon which 'seemed' to be working when I test drove the car has packed in and I'm getting a really rattly noise from the back end now when I go over bumps. Sounds like the rear passenger side.

I love the Supra, but have I been sold a Dud?

Does anyone have a nice clean un scratched standard auto dash panel sitting about that I could let him know is for sale? maybe speed him on a wee bit.

Cheers

Dave

I'm pretty certain mine came into the UK through Vine Place. It seems to be a good example, and I've had no major issues since I got the car. It was originally bought by StuFraser on here, so he might be able to give you some feedback on the service he received.

Regards

Mike

This is where I went to get my Supra, The prices were a bit higher than average, but I feel I got a good car for the money. Just wondering what everyone elses opinion of the place was?

I'm not one to flag up problems and lay blame as I should have insisted on and checked certain things before I bought the car but has anyone else had trouble.

I bought the car knowing that the auto dash panel was a bit shoddy. I was assured that there was one on order for me. Being a trusting soul I left off phoning for a couple weeks. Tried phoning this week but couldn't get through to the bloke who sold me the car. I managed to get hold of the other director of the company through email and when I asked he said they didn't have any record of the part on order but he would see what he could do. That was a couple days ago and he hasn't mailed back to let me know when I'll get the part. Should I be worried?

The aircon which 'seemed' to be working when I test drove the car has packed in and I'm getting a really rattly noise from the back end now when I go over bumps. Sounds like the rear passenger side.

I love the Supra, but have I been sold a Dud?

Does anyone have a nice clean un scratched standard auto dash panel sitting about that I could let him know is for sale? maybe speed him on a wee bit.

Cheers

Dave

The rattly sound sounds like boot rubbers, open your boot, spray some grease on them, if it goes away, hey presto. They are cheap to replace and common fault.

The panels you can get easy enough, try Jezzybabes.

Dont know anything about the supplier soz

I'll keep everyone up to date on it Hulse. I had heard only good things and they seemed to be fairly up on their knowledge. Maybe its a one off thing though. The rest of the car is pretty much spot on.

Checked and replaced them Glosphil that was one of my first wee mods and although it made a difference didn't cure it.

Hmm wonder what it is. Hope to get my local mechanic to have a look at the subframe tomorrow. What should i/he be looking for other than just anything obviously loose?

Cheers

Dave

I know what your sayin Ric, and I know its an old car, things will be wrong and need re-newing. Just didn't expect so many problems so soon.

Tatty panel

not great service when trying to sort the tatty panel

Air con going

Suspension rattle?

The fact it's already been vandalised is probably making me more hung up about the wee things.

Already done the boot rubbers and it helped but didn't solve it.

The dash panel clips are all broken and the panel was held on with blu-tack in one corner, so its no just the scratches that were pissing me off.

God how negative do I sound! Rant over for now!

I'll get back to you once I see if I can sort some of the probs!!!

Sounds like you haven't had the best of starts to Supra ownership mate!! The problems you have listed seem to be small by comparison to some peoples experiences.

If I were you, I would have a drive back there at some point and list your issues. How long is it since you bought it?

If they have made any kind of promise I would make sure you get what you were told you were going to get......;)

Once you get things sorted, there will be no looking back!

H.

I know things could be worse ehh!

Like I've said before and in other posts, really lovin the car and ownership of it even with the shaky start. This site and its members have been invaluable to me so far and I'm sure will continue to be.

Cheers all for the help!

Regas aircon - Ibraar doing it for 30 pounds if you are around Birmingham, others can charge up to 50 pounds me thinks. Rattling sound is usually rubber - Paul Whiffin selling those for 15 pounds + VAT, which dash panel you looking for? If gearstick surround - I belibve you can find quite a few after recent gearbox conversions - jezzybabes can have one umolested too.

Konrad

Guest Nicholas

The faults you've listed on a car like this are nothing compared to what a lot of people had have to put up with, do a search for posts by "sheefa" and you'll feel very lucky indeed.

I myself spent around 5 grand on my car in the first 6 months of ownership on top of the buying cost of £16,500 so boot rubbers, an air con regas and a dah panel is nothing :)

The faults you've listed on a car like this are nothing compared to what a lot of people had have to put up with, do a search for posts by "sheefa" and you'll feel very lucky indeed.

I myself spent around 5 grand on my car in the first 6 months of ownership on top of the buying cost of £16,500 so boot rubbers, an air con regas and a dah panel is nothing :)

very true but i think i would be the same if i bought from a dealer i would expect a certain amount of perfection :D

:yeahthat: Did expect a certain level of perfection but from what you've said Miami I can see It's not that bad.

Haha was at the supermarket and parked next to a brand new jag, I know I'm biased but the Sup was the sexier of the two.

I'll get everything sorted, I guess from previous experience with dealers of 'normal' cars I expected most things to be perfect with the car.

Mate, I think you may have brought a second hand car with the totally wrong expectations. Its not a brand new car and yes you'll get a few niggles here and there. But to regass Aircon is £60, Booth Rubbers are chip as chips & a used dash panel is hardly gonna break the bank.

For used parts try Jezzababes 01327 263 228 and ask for Jez, they sell quality second hand parts. Best of luck mate, and don't let these niggles spoil your new Supra ownership experience. ;)

Was the salesman called Mick??? Bought a couple of cars from him when he worked at another gaff.

Thing is Vine Place are a 'typical' second hand car dealer, they'll tell you anything to get the car sold and gloss over minor problems, as long as you paid attention to the big things (like what's described in the Supra buyers guide on here) you shouldn't have gone far wrong.

A couple of rattles and air-con not working seem fairly trivial problems in a 2nd hand car, so no it doesn't sound like you've bought a dud :D

No worries mate, Jez will look after you, Ibrar is the best for regassing & Tyres if your near Birmingham 0121 707 4554

Re Dealers, I not trying to defend Vine Place, after looking at their shoddy web site, its unbelievable that any one would buy a car from them. But u gotta rem your buying a car thats now 12 years old. You've gotta expect a few niggles as the others have said. Its all down to how you done the deal, if you've paid full asking price then you've got every right to demand that they carry out all the above repairs. But if you went in and haggled then you can't expect a better level of quality.

Rem you get wot you pay for!!

If you hav any questions feel free to pop me a PM, best of luck :)

Sorry didn't get to read all the postings, but if you need regassing your aircon I think heard Ibrar is doing them for about/From £30 ?! might worth giving him a call.

EDIT: you beat me to it Wayney :D