The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Guide for Brakes

Glosphil

Ok, got delivered 2 new rear uk discs.

Already got CW pads.

Cant find a proper guide for changing the discs and pads. Is there one?

I dont have a torque wrench either, and the calipers are tight as a nuns chuff, what can I use? are torque wrenches expensive?

Cheers

A torque wrench isn't for undoing bolts, it's for doing them up to a particular torque. If you use it for undoing stuff you'll break it. What you want is a breaker bar. Halfords do a good 12inch and 18inch one, they're about £25 IIRC. Then if you want to be correct about it you use a torque wrench to do them up again.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but reading your post, it doesn't sound as if you have a huge amount of mechanical experience.

I apreciate you'll want to learn (which is always good) and like all of us on here you have to start somewhere. But are you sure that brakes is the best place to start?

The penalty for getting it wrong is a bit more severe than if you didn't for instance, tighten up an intercooler hose correctly.

Hope I'm not upsetting anyone by saying this, but I'd hate to hear of anything going wrong....

Fair point mate. Im not a mechanic and have not done much before. I am however not bad technically on other things and can usually apply myself to most things, I just need to understand it first and have the right tools, which often I dont.

My other option is the go and see Chris, which I'd really like to do, but time is a problem for me. Plus I've just spent a fortune on parts for my 3 cars so could do with saving some money haha

Ok, just fitted the front pads.... well without a guide, it was a piece of cake ! the pins slid out nicely, dont know what I was worried about. The rear discs I'll need that breaker bar as they tight as hell but I'll sort that at the weekend.

Chris, your pads immediately made a difference on the front, even though the pads I took off were performance ones and looks new.

i changed my first discs and pads a few weeks ago was pretty straight forward.there will be plenty of how to guides on net if you search.

i bought a 24" braker bar from car boot and its been sound only £10

there is loads of tool stalls.

have a look at this site for an idea of whats involved.lots of small video clips of each steps

brakes