The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie with some questions.

Guest phatbat

Guest phatbat

Hello everyone - I have been carefully researching the MkIV Supra for a month or so now using mainly this site and am pretty sure I will make it my next car (currently driving an MG ZR 120). This site has been largely responsible for persuading me, the supra guide pdf and reading all the wealth of info on the forums has been invaluable - and will probably buy the car from this site. I do have a couple of questions that i can't seem to find info about on previous threads so apologies if this stuff has been answered a lot before:

1. What are the Width/Depth/Height dimensions of the boot and is it completely concealed when closed? - This would be quite important.

2. What’s all this talk of active spoiler - i presume its something on the front - is it of any use (sorry i know very little about cars)

3. Here's a link to a supra i really like - although a lot has obviously been spent under the bonnet it doesn't look like they have done much to the outside (ignoring the Wing at the back and the hood) it looks to me like a stock facelift supra with something added under the nose (what is that) - and is that a special paint colour as i think it makes big difference to the look

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.automoblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/Worlds_fastest_Supra.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.automoblog.net/2006/12/03/worlds-fastest-supra-on-ebay/&h=215&w=400&sz=18&hl=en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=QkV0C2QlhLPV2M:&tbnh=67&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3DToyota%2BSupra%2Bboot%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

4. I've pretty much decided i would get a TT version but i would definitely consider refurbishing the interior. Any ideas how much it would cost to get the dash + elec window button surround + Door handle surround to be metal look. I've seen it on a few cars and looks really good.

5. I would also almost definitely get a complete respray on any new car i get and would either go for what ever paint was used on that beast in the link above or the blue used on the Nissan 350Z or MG ZR (Trophy blue - old model) - i got a rough quote the other day from a guy that said it would cost about £1500-£2000 depending on the paint (not including the interior spray) but said that in a couple of months respraying will shoot up in cost to more like £3000 due to new laws forcing them to use liquid paint or something - is the price good and has anyone else heard of these new rules?

6. Are there any overfenders that can be fitted without having to fit side skirts and nose, and look OK - if so has anyone got any pictures?

Right i think thats it - sorry about the length of my 1st post but hopefully someone out there will be able to help me and i look forward to owning my 1st Supra Later this year.:)

Guest phatbat

Help - Can anyone answer any of the questions above - i didn't expect 1 person to answer all of them. Any answers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1. What are the Width/Depth/Height dimensions of the boot and is it completely concealed when closed? - This would be quite important.

I'll check this for you later - it's not much though, though it looks big, there is almost no depth to the floor.

2. What’s all this talk of active spoiler - i presume its something on the front - is it of any use (sorry i know very little about cars)

The active spoiler it a small font lip which is concealed behind the plastic front bumper, when you reach 60mph it drops down (about 2 inches) to provide extra downforce. It is quite important to have if you do a lot of high speed driving (very illegal speeds!)

3. Here's a link to a supra i really like - although a lot has obviously been spent under the bonnet it doesn't look like they have done much to the outside (ignoring the Wing at the back and the hood) it looks to me like a stock facelift supra with something added under the nose (what is that) - and is that a special paint colour as i think it makes big difference to the look

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.automoblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/Worlds_fastest_Supra.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.automoblog.net/2006/12/03/worlds-fastest-supra-on-ebay/&h=215&w=400&sz=18&hl=en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=QkV0C2QlhLPV2M:&tbnh=67&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3DToyota%2BSupra%2Bboot%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

closed? - This would be quite important.

Thats Ryan Woons Supra, the fastest in the world with something like 1500hp. I believe the colour is non-standard, but some of the late Supra's came in very similar colours. The front bumper is standard, though has an extended aftermarket lower lip, the thing behind it is an FMIC

4. I've pretty much decided i would get a TT version but i would definitely consider refurbishing the interior. Any ideas how much it would cost to get the dash + elec window button surround + Door handle surround to be metal look. I've seen it on a few cars and looks really good.

Many people here repaint the dash surrounds and other plastic parts on the inside. There are several options available:

- Buy a stick-on kit that uses plastic/fake carbon fibre/aluminium panels. around £60, but very tacky in my opinion

- Buy full replacement units. About £200? I think Nic supplies them on here

- Get one of our traders to professionally paint them. £100 ish

- DIY paint it (most do this with excellent results. £10 of paint from Halfords and some elbow grease! I did mine 2 years ago and they still look like new.

5. I would also almost definitely get a complete respray on any new car i get and would either go for what ever paint was used on that beast in the link above or the blue used on the Nissan 350Z or MG ZR (Trophy blue - old model) - i got a rough quote the other day from a guy that said it would cost about £1500-£2000 depending on the paint (not including the interior spray) but said that in a couple of months respraying will shoot up in cost to more like £3000 due to new laws forcing them to use liquid paint or something - is the price good and has anyone else heard of these new rules?

I think there is at least one car with the Nissan blue paint but can't recall who owns it. £1.5 to £2k for a colour change seems rather cheap though, most high quality shops charge more like £3k. Though of course this can be brought down if you scrimp on things like painting the engine bay, removing the windows, etc...

6. Are there any overfenders that can be fitted without having to fit side skirts and nose, and look OK - if so has anyone got any pictures?

None off-the-shelf as far as I know. I think it would very wierd to have overfenders without skirts, which is probably why it's not been done.

Right i think thats it - sorry about the length of my 1st post but hopefully someone out there will be able to help me and i look forward to owning my 1st Supra Later this year.:)

No problem, welcome to the club.

Not sure on the dimensions - I can fit my road bicycle in the back with the front wheel off! As Homer says, there's not much depth to the boot.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "completely concealed when closed" the boot space is accessible from the rear seats when closed - in fact the rear seat section can be folded forward to effectively enlarge the whole boot area (thats how I can fit a bike in there).

Hope that helps - maybe a better explanation of what you mean would help on this one...

- Oh - and Welcome to the club! :D

Guest phatbat

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "completely concealed when closed"

Thanks folks - by 'completely concealed' i meant is stuff in the boot visible from the outside of the car when shut - i often have a big laptop case and brief case in the boot which i wouldn't want on show. Thats why i need the dimensions (particularly the height) of the boot so i know if i can lie the laptop bag down flat and still get the boot shut and then if it can be seen from outside.

I suppose i could always get blacked out windows if it doesn't fit and then i can make use of the back seat aswell. BTW can a fully grown adult actualy sit in the back with their legs off to one side or something?

Thanks again - and thanks Homer for your lengthy reply.

:)

The boot has a blind in it as opposed to a parcel shelf. As long as the laptop is not too bulky and can sit down towards the bottom of the boot, instead of right up behind the seats, then I don't see it being a problem - as long as you make sure that the car you are buying has one!

Guest phatbat

Thanks Chaps - but could really do with the height dimension of the area of the boot space that would be out of sight when closed - hopefully homer is finding out - but if anyone else fancies standing at the back of their supra holding a tape measure then that would be much appreciated. :thumbs:

PS. does anyone know who has a supra in the blue colour used on the Nissan 350z - got any pics?

Thanks Chaps - but could really do with the height dimension of the area of the boot space that would be out of sight when closed - hopefully homer is finding out - but if anyone else fancies standing at the back of their supra holding a tape measure then that would be much appreciated. :thumbs:

Sorry mate, completely forgot about this!

There some pics below to give you an idea. The boot depth is 22cm from floot to the top of the rear seat, with the blind in place it's 20cm from floor to the blind.

Hope this helps

Supra boot.jpg

rear leg room.jpg

rear leg room2.jpg

supra boot 2.jpg

supra boot 3.jpg

:welcome:

Theres a dyno day in bridgwater this saturday and your quite welcome to join us. Alot are meeting at pauls SWZ performance in the morning and he is just outside of weston.

Come along and ask as many questions as you want plus you can get upclose and have a poke about in some supes

Guest phatbat

Thanks Homer - really usefull and looks like my laptop case will fit - thanks for going to all that trouble.

Edge - thanks for invite to dyno (not quite sure what that is though, is it something to do with measuring it's power?) but don't think i'll be able to make it on Saturday as have plans with girlfriend - i live in Clifton though so not that far for me.

Thanks for all your help folks

:respekt:

Thanks Homer - really usefull and looks like my laptop case will fit - thanks for going to all that trouble.

Edge - thanks for invite to dyno (not quite sure what that is though, is it something to do with measuring it's power?) but don't think i'll be able to make it on Saturday as have plans with girlfriend - i live in Clifton though so not that far for me.

Thanks for all your help folks

:respekt:

No problem fella.

Dyno sessions are when we get a bunch of cars together and measure their power on a selected rolling road. It's just a bit of fun and good for those of us who like modding to see how well we are progressing. It's also a great time to get a good look at some nice cars and get a test drive if the owners are feeling generous ;)

BTW, in case you didn't notice threads here can go off-topic at a moments notice :D

Guest phatbat

lol - no probs - nice car Ewen - how much did that set you back when you imported it? - what do you reckon its worth now?

lol - no probs - nice car Ewen - how much did that set you back when you imported it? - what do you reckon its worth now?

Cost me £23k in 2003

Value now, somewhere between £11k and £14k judging by recent Supra movements ?? Dont really know, but I try not to worry about it. Interested to see what happens to values next year when '98s start coming in.