The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car still very poorly

Sheefa

Hello all,

Good day today guys, and great to catch up with the new and the regulars. Apologies for being a little pre-occupied, but I had the bad news that my car is still FUBAR'D.

Looks like it wasn't the Turbos after all, although with the new hybrids on the white smoke has disappeared and it's just Blue....and only happens after the run in after 15mins or so. Sadly, looks like my Valve Stem Seals are dead and Greg and Co @ Turbofit will be undertaking the work to get them sorted - if it's them of course. No puff of blue on startup though, and it doesn't do it all the time either.

Oh well, another shit load of money down the pan on a car that sucks me off more than my girlfriend does. I'm now in a state of detest for all Supras!

Here's hoping it's the VSSs anyway. :(

Greg

Sorry to hear the bad news (again) Greg.

I did see you at the meet today, but I was unsure about approaching you incase your bad luck rubbed off on me ;)

Anyway, look on the brightside, when this issue is sorted you'll fall in love with your car all over again, chin up fella!

Sorry to hear the bad news (again) Greg.

I did see you at the meet today, but I was unsure about approaching you incase your bad luck rubbed off on me ;)

Anyway, look on the brightside, when this issue is sorted you'll fall in love with your car all over again, chin up fella!

Thanks mate - yeah nobody wanted to approach me today.:innocent: I was really happy as well coming to the BBQ as I thought the car was all sorted, but Greg phonedmy old phone and left a message with the bad news that I obviously didn't pickup. Such a downer.:(

No mate, she's going for sure now in May. I really don't have a passion for Supras anymore tbh with the level of crap I've taken with mine.

Greg,

I kind of know how you feel. I've got more issues that, TBH, I don't even want to think about as it's all just cash that I don't have right now.

Chin up, lad.

Sorry to hear that Martin bud and thanks. Hope you get it sorted mate - anything major?

My mum was crying earlier for me. She's more devestated tha I am as she's seen me invest a wasted amount of money in something that seems totally jinxed :(

I tried to find you later on to point out where i left your bumper lip, but i decided against it incase my arms and legs fell off while talking to you. :D

Thanks Jez, is it at TF still mate? I'll pick it up when I collect and drive (or douse and burn) the car sometime soon. Cheers ;)

Greg

bummer, i knew you were pissed off matey, so would i be.

when are they starting work on it/expect it to be done

I know mate, and sorry I didn't get to catch up with you for long pal. Real nice gesture with the walkie talkies mate - really appreciate that and will buy you plenty of beer :)

They are starting work on it this week hopefully, so should be back just before the Dragonball. My faith rests in Greg. :)

And you do know (don't you?) that valve stem seals can run like that for the next year without getting any worse or causing any real problems?

If you're short of cash at the moment, you could just put the job off until after the summer.....just go out and enjoy driving it for now.

my car has been running with valve stem seal problems for at least 2 years now. I used to think the smoking was down to the turbos on their way out, they then went out and the smoking reduced a lot, but its still there.

Unless the smoke is seriously bad then dont bother doing about it until you really have to.

You might also want to change the grade of oil and see if that helps the situation at all.

JB

:imsorry: aw m8, can't believe the number of problems you've had, I reckon you were just unlucky in your choice and picked one of the few 'friday' cars toyota ever made!

If you do shift it in may and have a few months break, you will probably miss supra fun and look at buying another, but it could be the opportunity to start with a clean slate and a clean car - just get it thoroughly checked out first!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do hun, I'll be rooting for you mate!! :ok:

lol

Linda

xx

Thanks guys and I thoroughly appreciate your kind words ansd advice - really do. :)

The problem is, I'm not prepared to a) sell a poor car to the owner (I'm not like that at all as I know how it feels to get a crap heap) and b) I do need to get this done so I can sell it.

Trouble is, Greg @ Turbofit mentioned that it 'could' be the oil piston seals (not a massive job) and that requires the head-off so it's not a cheap job anyway. May as well get them both checked and maybe renewed to ensure they're good for the future.

I'm sure I'm coming to the end of the problems now, but I need to sort out my finances first. As you are probably aware, I don't do things cheaply, I try to get things done properly. Trouble is as one door closes on a problem, another ALWAYS seems to open for me.

I worked out the other day that in the lifetime of Supra ownership, albeit 9 months, I've only driven her for about 1,200 miles for personal pleasure, not including trips back and to the garage! Gutted.

Perhaps I'll consider purchasing another Supra in the future...............sometime.

Gutted for ya Greg :( Personally, if I was having that many problems with the car, I'd rip the whole engine out and strip it down bit by bit until everything was covered. Time you got handy with the spanners, mate - saves soooo much money! ;)