The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone running on 20" wheels yet??

wallis

morning,

I currently have tein flex fully adjustable's on with some old school

18" Lamborghini Diablo pepper pots on!

Front - 235 35 18 - Pirelli P Zeros.

Rear - 295 35 18 - Michelin Pilot Sports.

It handles and rides superb i cant complain at all with the set up.

basically im thinking of changing to 20's, I had 20's on my last car and i also went from 18's, the ride was slightly harder maybe but with the suspension setup you didn't really notice!

I think 20's will fit on easy with room to spare :blink:

The main issue is just the cost of those rear tyres they are so exspensive, it makes my bank account poo it's self everytime i think about it.....lol

I would love to know if anyone is running a set of 20's or has done before and their thoughts on the matter?

ive uploaded some photos of the wheels i would maybe change to and one of how it is now, which shows why i think 20's would look the part:sly:

http://www.flavorrecordings.com/Web_Supra2.jpg

As it is at the moment.....after 3 colour changes and 3 long years together im some what upset to see them go, but ineed of a change i think:(

http://www.flavorrecordings.com/Web_Supra2Antwheels.jpg

By far my favs;)

http://www.flavorrecordings.com/Web_Supra2Antwheels2.jpg

What do u think?

Have you tried looking in Max Power or Redline?

I havn't bought max power since i was about 8 years old i think :blink:

I thought it was full of old nova's with 12litre V12 twin turbo supercharged engines fitted, which flew people to the moon and back in under 5 sec's......lol

no seriously mate, i thought i would just ask in here first as most these guys actually drive their cars, not just have them for show!

good idea though;)

Have you tried looking in Max Power or Redline?

I havn't bought max power since i was about 8 years old i think :blink:

I thought it was full of old nova's with 12litre V12 twin turbo supercharged engines fitted, which flew people to the moon and back in under 5 sec's......lol

no seriously mate, i thought i would just ask in here first as most these guys actually drive their cars, not just have them for show!

good idea though;)

My Harley truck had 20s on and my new range rover has em standard, 19s look good on a supra but imoa 20s cross into maxpower/chav for me.

hey i agree, 20's are chav on vauxhall corsa's, but supra's are massive cars with massive arches....im just looking at the car and when i stand back...i always think 'bigger wheels'?

porshe and Aston Martin's are all on 19's 20's now...i dont see them being chav or maxpowerish?

hey i agree, 20's are chav on vauxhall corsa's, but supra's are massive cars with massive arches....im just looking at the car and when i stand back...i always think 'bigger wheels'?

porshe and Aston Martin's are all on 19's 20's now...i dont see them being chav or maxpowerish?

Yes but Aston and Porsche spend millions on getting the geometry of their cars right with that sort of wheel size. Toyota set the Supra to run on 16/17" wheels, you will ruin the ride and fast cornering ability with huge wheels, no matter what size will ultimately fit in the arch.

I have been doing a bit of reading on geo setups and the sup is pushing it at 18. 19 is too much.. I think I'm going back to 18.. the physical size of the suspension and adjustment is just not built for it. You may think you look the nuts but I'll not get in the passenger seat if you paid me!

and you think your tyres cost a lot...

you'll be even more shocked when you see one side of your rears dissapear in 4000 miles when the other side doesn't touch the ground...lol

I wonder if anyone has actually built a custom set of arms to handle the bigger wheels on widebody sups?

what do the Japan touring guys do.. any one seen any info?

There are these, they are designed for track racing though, not sure if there would be enough adjustment for bigger wheels or widebodies.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=83234

I am about to put a new set of 5 spoke 19" SF challenge on replacing my 7 spoke 18" AVS and I asked Gaz at Envy and he said they would be fine. I am now a bit worried reading this thread and hope I havn't made a bad decission!

hey guys,

thx for the response, looks like theres quite a few opinions and some great feedback on the matter, but most of u think that it will defiantly ruin the handling with the bigger wheels on full stop, which is not what I want at all!

I am slightly confused about some comments though, I mean at the end of the day we are talking about the circumference of a wheel's size, are people saying too wide a wheels are bad for handling also? if u keep the wheel's circumference to the same size as a 17" stock wheel's size would that be ok?

for example with lets say a 19" wheel to keep it the same as a 17"stock's circumference , it just means lower profile tyres which give's a harder ride, but would surely handle better?

I know tyres with bigger wall sizes make the ride better, but is the handling? and when I say handling I mean the ability to drive faster, not the problems with driving over pot holes!

so with me having 295/35/18's already on the back, am I making the handling better/worse?

cheers!

if u keep the wheel's circumference to the same size as a 17" stock wheel's size would that be ok?

for example with lets say a 19" wheel to keep it the same as a 17"stock's circumference

That's impossible. If you change the diameter of the wheel from 17" to 19" you will automatically have increased the wheel's circumference.

That's impossible. If you change the diameter of the wheel from 17" to 19" you will automatically have increased the wheel's circumference.

sorry mate, when i say wheel i mean wheel and tyre basically the circumference of the tyre......lol

example a 245/45/17 has the same circumference as a 275/35/18....that kind of thing!

I wonder if anyone has actually built a custom set of arms to handle the bigger wheels on widebody sups?

what do the Japan touring guys do.. any one seen any info?

They build a proper suspension designed to run whatever sized tyres at whatever ride height. The changes are immense, complex, and totally impractical / imposible on a road car. The Jap tiring car series allows for virtually a free hand, suspension wise. The cars look vaguely like a Supra, it stops there. A suspension and chassis designer STARTS with a wheel and tyre size and literally builds the car around this. LITERALLY!