The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gauge sensors install, DIY or expert?

cheekymonkey

I have ordered gauges and sensors for EGT, AFM and Oil Temp... can this sort of thing be done by a "reasonably competent" home mech, or is it a pro job?

I don't have a welder or anything, nor would I want one *grin*

James

The oil temp is easiest done with either a sandwich plate (potential for leakage) or a tapped oil sump bolt (good luck finding one - let the rest of us know!!!). Easy job with the right parts though.

EGT is a drilling and tapping job. Fine if you've got access to the manifold and the right tools.

AFM you're best off using a welded on mounting.

In summary, if you're properly prepared, you can do it all yourself. If not, you can make a right pigs ear of it.

The oil temp is easiest done with either a sandwich plate (potential for leakage) or a tapped oil sump bolt (good luck finding one - let the rest of us know!!!). Easy job with the right parts though.

EGT is a drilling and tapping job. Fine if you've got access to the manifold and the right tools.

AFM you're best off using a welded on mounting.

In summary, if you're properly prepared, you can do it all yourself. If not, you can make a right pigs ear of it.

That's good advice, thanks - will probably get somewhere reputable like Turbofit to do this for me, assuming that's the sort of thing they do?

Looking forward to doing some mods myself when I am more confident, but these gauges need to go on first really :)