The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Really bad Supra-luck, annoyed, advice needed

Getrag

Yet another challenge with the Supra today. I had a slow puncture so took it to the local McGoneghy's (sic) to get it repaired. It would have been a fine repair (small nail) if it werent for the very slightly torn inner edge of the tire (the bit that you cant see that curves in and sits on the alloy). Now this must have been done when the original garage put the tire on the alloy.

They wouldnt repair the puncture because of the tear rendering the tire "illegal." The tear is about an inch but I understand where they are coming from. So he blew it up and put it back on the car.

Now I have several questions. Do i need to purchase 1 or 2 new tires, I think i know the dreaded answer. I have a solid 4mm of even rubber left on the falken 452's. So would I be best getting the 2 replaced to save the diff/get even grip?

Then I need to go to the kwik-fit and tear them a new one for ripping my tires. Ach!! Bad Supra month with this bearing/sticking caliper/new tires.

I have a N/A with lsd and when i bought the car the dealer had replaced 1 of the back tyres so there was quite a difference in tread depths between the tyres.Made no difference on acceleration but when i lifted off the throttle in any gear the back end would pull to the side(wasnt nice at speed)so got them to put another tyre of the same type and it was spot on so i would suggest that you do both tyres matey hope that helps

Thanks PAG, its what I would expect. I remember hearing about all the old stories with the Calibra's and their diff's going with poorly matched tires.

I was having a think and I am going to write a letter with pics to kwik-fit uk, or whatever it is and complain about their dangerous levels of ineptitude.

Glad to help i had a bad experience with quick fit myself i trusted them to fit my hks exhaust and decat pipe they told me that it would take a couple of hours and they would charge 30 quid to do the job. i was on a course in aberdeen so dropped the supe off at 8am went to the course and returned at 4pm to my horror the old exhaust was lying on the deck next to my new one!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF.The manager came across and said that they were having problems lining up the decat with the manifold and that they had to use a burner to get the sensors off!I was extremely f**ked off at this point i was then handed the keys and told to bring it back in the morning the dozy c**t wanted me to do a 60mile round trip with nowt but my manifold????????????????TIT.So told him where to go and headed for the bus stop!Next day back into aberdeen finish course at four then down to quick fit over the moon when saw the supe sitting in the car park with her big shiny pipe on went into the office payed the man jumped in the car turned the key and it sounded like the exhaust wasent connected to the manifold it was shocking the car filled with exhaust fumes it was f**king reekin f**K this popped the bonnet and im not joking what an absolute abortion of a job there must have been at least two tubs of exhaust paste around the manifold to decat flange WTF it was everywhere even on the front bumper!!!!!Shouted over to the quick fit fitter that was working on the car and asked him what he was playing at and he said wait for it GIVE IT A COUPLE OF DAYS AND ITL CARBON UP i swear i could of hit the fat twat.

I have a N/A with lsd and when i bought the car the dealer had replaced 1 of the back tyres so there was quite a difference in tread depths between the tyres.Made no difference on acceleration but when i lifted off the throttle in any gear the back end would pull to the side(wasnt nice at speed)so got them to put another tyre of the same type and it was spot on so i would suggest that you do both tyres matey hope that helps

Always mate. Rears, fonts wear at similar rates. Never trust a twat who changes just one.

Thanks PAG, its what I would expect. I remember hearing about all the old stories with the Calibra's and their diff's going with poorly matched tires.

I was having a think and I am going to write a letter with pics to kwik-fit uk, or whatever it is and complain about their dangerous levels of ineptitude.

Write a letter to customer complaints and you might find mysterious vouchers suddenly appearing:)

It was falkens i had on at the time one was brand new and one was almost at the ware marks and you could realy feel it when changing gears and letting off the throttle it felt like the back end was wasnt conected to the front it was weird.

:)

on the other hand Ive been running rears with 5000 mile difference due to damaging wheels F1 Eagles and never detected the slightest difference!

Rich

Nice, I'll run eagles just for this reason. It's rare to get this performance from tyres. I'm only used to bike stuff. I have seen various stuff that even proves you can't switch tyres on a front drive, they flip at the back. You're doing really well mate, thanks.

Thanks PAG, its what I would expect. I remember hearing about all the old stories with the Calibra's and their diff's going with poorly matched tires..

That's a bit different though, differences in tyre circumferance 'winding up' the transfer box.

The supra hasn't got one of those.

However, due to the potential speeds and stresses involved, I'd never fit asymmetrical tyres to the supe.

Thanks John.

Just had a brainwave. I might go down to the original kwick-fit that put the tyres on with the nail holding in the pressure. When they take it off and point out the fault with the tyre, I can rightfully say, well you put it on in the first place so you must have buggered it.

lol, really? I guess when its all said and done, I need a new tyre anyway on that side and I then need the matching contralateral one. So I've ordered another 2 from mytyres. There goes that plan to spend no money on the Supra this month lol.