The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto v manual Twin Turbo

Guest steve77964

Guest steve77964

i know i'm covering old ground, but im currently contemplating an automatic tt...

but what differences will i really feel after having owned a manual tt for over 18 months?

Guest steve77964
your left foot might feel a bit redundant, unless you get into left foot braking (probably not much point in an auto).

Other than that, one suggestion TEST DRIVE lol :)

i have driven autos before so i know my left foot can chill out lol...

i actually meant performance wise... anyone goingto squires next tuesday with an auto wanna take me for a spin?

never? :p

It's your choice, that's the good thing about the auto - I drive mine like a manual most of the time but on those lazy jaunts into town you can just sit back and let it do the work.

what does HTH mean?

Hope This Helps

you spend too much time on forums ;)

Agreed but it's more interesting than work :)

Guest steve77964
It's your choice, that's the good thing about the auto - I drive mine like a manual most of the time but on those lazy jaunts into town you can just sit back and let it do the work.

so you can drive them to the rev limit without it changing gear?

oh, no access to o/d in manual mode?

That's right.

But you don't need manual mode to make it rev up to the redline. It will do that anyway. If you push hard on the throttle then the box will go right up the revs before changing. It's fairly intelligent y'know ;)

It's fairly intelligent y'know ;)

It's not, it's just a lump of metal lol :p

I saw in another thread people having trouble getting top speed because full throttle would kick down a gear, or vice versa it would change up before the red-line.

I take it these are faults (common or not) and a correctly working auto box does at least a half decent job here.

In which case, what's the need for manual mode anyway?

well after supra pod i dont think im gona convert to a manuel!

lol if you're only into drag 1/4s

but then as ryan proved, if he can get into the 8s with a stock manual box, then the finger points to the driver not the transmission

not that I claim to do any better, but I'm not a 1/4 mile man much anyway, prefer real road and track use :D

All I can say, why did they make so many autos, if they aren't as good an alternative to manuals? In a car like the Supra, I wouldn't have thought they would've installed anything else but an excellent auto transmission.

I'm a real fan of the auto, thats for sure!