The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying a Supra

Guest Chris Smart

Guest Chris Smart

Hi,

just joined the site and first impressions are great, what a well organised club!!

I am looking to buy a Supra this summer, where is the best place to go for a really good example.

This will be my first high powered sports car (got a Mk1 MX5 at the moment - great fun) so any help would be great.

Would love a twin-turbo, but certainly would not turn down a normally aspirated car if it was the right price, spec and in good nick.

Thanks for reading guys

Chris

Welcome to the club Mr Smart!!

The big question as Supra-Man asked is what is your budget!! There are some bargains to be found and opinions will differ but I reckon a good NA auto (4K) NA Manual (4.5) TT Auto (6K) and a TT manual (9 - 10K). These are a rough guide.

I have a NA and love it but the emphasis on mega speed is not an issue for me. I just like looking good.......:D

If you give us some idea of what you are after I will have a mooch about. Have you looked on Pistonheads, Auto trader etc?? Buying off a member on here is probably the safest route and the best way to get a car that has been well looked after.

Saving a few hundred quid on the purchase price can be nothing compared to the costs of rectifying a car that has been mistreated.......;)

H.

Welcome and good luck, I test drove loads before I settled on mine and I wish I knew about the forum before as I would have got what I was looking for alot quicker. Don't get me wrong I love mine and wouldn't change it for the world. I have been with her for 3 years now (longer than I was with the Wife) and I have definately spent more on the motor than the ex wife and certainly had more enjoyment and pleasure from the motor.

I must find a woman soon I just read the above and defo need a woman i sound sad as F*£$k but hey ho true non the less!

I must find a woman soon I just read the above and defo need a woman i sound sad as F*£$k but hey ho true non the less!

At least there are plenty of sheep up your way!! :p

How can you have a Supra and no woman?? You should be fending them off with a machine gun!!

H.

At least there are plenty of sheep up your way!! :p

How can you have a Supra and no woman?? You should be fending them off with a machine gun!!

H.

My motor has been of the road for 6month and not long moved back here but when she is fit again, about 2 weeks till she is back from Envy, then she will be out in public.

When I said I need a woman I meant a keeper, there are plenty of catch and return.

Guest Chris Smart

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the kind words.

Well, what can I say...great advice. Sorry I havent checked in for a while, been working like a dog!!

To answer a couple of questions, My budget will be max £7.5k - £8k, so I should get myself quite a motor.

Another question...I have seen some cars with big mileages (130k) with full histories. How important is mileage? Is history more important?

Thanks again guys

Chris

Guest Chris Smart

Hi Snooze,

Thanks for the offer mate. £8k is streching the old budget a bit...sorry.

Guilford isn't far away, so I may take you up on the offer of a spin.

Hey Havard, thanks for he budget advice. I think buying from a club member is the soundest advice yet...that said, there is a reallly nice black twin-turbo on Auto Trader. Search nationally up to £9k and it is near the end...Lambo dors...the whole shebang.

Hi Henk....Good luck with the motor, thanks for the support.

Hey KSLB...good luck with the women!!! LOL

Hey stuohy...didn't join the MX5OC, they are not such a mystery to me as the Supra .but I buy all my parts from MX5Parts....great team of guys and girls there. Anything like that for the Supra?

Thanks for the welcome supra61...happy Supraing!!!

Thanks for the advice penguin.

Catch you soon guys...off a huntin' for a Supra: