The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Local Mr.T not helpfull at all :(

chilli

I've just rung my local Mr T to order a couple of battery clamps.

How patronised do I feel, the convo was something like:

Me: I'd like to order 2 battery clamps for an import spec supra please.

Bod: What year is the car?

Me: 96

Bod: I need the chassis and model numbers of the car

Me: I don't have that to hand but I'm pretty sure they are all the same, for the jdm cars

Bod: Do you work for Toyota spares? *in patronising voice mode*

Me: *grrrr* No of course not (you nob) *feeling patronised*

Bod: Well I need the numbers then

Me: Can you not just put in a generic number

Bod: I can't got any further on my computer system without those numbers, the system won't let me...

Me = *thinking, now I see why you work in a spares dept* ok no worries, bye

hang up

Ok so maybe I'm being a bit mean, maybe he really does need the numbers, maybe even there are several different versions of clamp for import spec mkivs. At least some slight initiative to help me out might not have gone amiss.

I recall spares depts where you can go in with nothing, not even knowing the name of the part and they will help you locate it!

either way though, I didn't feel he was helpful and I just felt patronised grrrr

my car is at home, so is anyone able to furnish me with a fairly typically jdm chassis/model number so I can get my parts ordered today?

cheers :)

(or should I ring that chap, Steve Manly is it? anyone got the number handy?)

Think you need a slap ;)

Unless you have the exact part numbers, they do need the chassis and model number of the car.

That as may be, i think parts desks are becoming more and more useless with a regards to actually having any knowledge of what you may be looking for.

Their attitude nowadays just seems to be, give me the number and i'll put it into the computer and order it.

They may as well not be there and you can just put the number in yourself!

thanks chaps :)

thanks Nic for the exact part no, now I can ring back and pretend I do indeed work in a parts dept lol ;)

I was just annoyed at the unnecessary partonisation and the lack of assistance in general

oh well will try again in a mo :)

cheers for the help and remember

"computer says no *cough*"

They always need the chassis and vin number. Look at it from his POV, if he orders the wrong part, you turn up, get pissed off, call the manager, he gets a carpeting and he's lumbered with an expensive part they can never sell.

It's not difficult to keep the relevant info in your wallet or phone for just those occasions.

My local Toyota parts man is just verrryyyy sllllooooowwwww. It takes him 5 minutes just to come out. I swear the parts dept is 8 stories down in a bunker.

Idiotic fools, you can browse the data quite easily if you know how to use the software - these trained gimps clearly only got the "how to be a tosser" version of the course.

it takes a few more clicks and a bit more effort but it's not difficult, I showed my local chap how to do it but he still insists on chassis numbers - I think it's more a case of them making sure you don't come back with the wrong part expecting a refund.

which toyota dealer did you ring?

Ive just got back from the Tollhouse one in crawley, very helpfull chap, even gave me a discount for being a member on here :cool:

Their hands are somewhat tied if you dont have the information they need though, as their system starts off by asking for it and then drills down tot he parts you need. I have it all written down on a bit of paper in my wallet now for such occations :D

Toyota don't chrome them fella ;)

if only lol :D

Nic, I'll keep that in mind for next time...

and yes it was the same place, maybe his phone manor was less than ideal...

will keep the chassis/model number in my wallet as suggested for next time

Their hands are somewhat tied if you dont have the information they need though, as their system starts off by asking for it and then drills down tot he parts you need. I have it all written down on a bit of paper in my wallet now for such occations :D

This is the problem, one approach asks you to use that method but it's also possible to search by model, then narrow this by transmission, engine type, year etc - they just can't be arsed or don't know what to put in / won't ask.

This is the problem, one approach asks you to use that method but it's also possible to search by model, then narrow this by transmission, engine type, year etc - they just can't be arsed or don't know what to put in / won't ask.

that's what I figured, I felt sure there was a way to locate it but the chap just didn't give a flying fcuk

that's what I figured, I felt sure there was a way to locate it but the chap just didn't give a flying fcuk

I dont think its a personal thing, when i had my mr2 some years ago i had great trouble getting a HG for it, as the car was jap with a UK engine in it :blink: That confused them :D . Im guessing its drummed into them thats the way they are supposed to do it, and i suppose if they get the model wrong and you kick up a fuss about it, its them who will get it in the neck, so they are covering themselves.

Granted they do come across as just not wanting to be helpfull. I ended up getting a chassis number off of another UK mr2 to get my HG in the end!

It really depends who picks the phone and talks to you once calling Mr T's, some just go with what you ask them and they find it for you and job done and some dont do anything more til you give them the VIN number (found Women in Mr T's doing this to people more though ) :)

Well the best one I have had is my local one the parts guy came out and then went "oooh a supra havnt seen one of these!" then he calls the cheif engineer dude out who also hadnt seen one. Made a mentle note not to let them touch my car just order parts

I dont think its a personal thing, when i had my mr2 some years ago i had great trouble getting a HG for it, as the car was jap with a UK engine in it :blink: That confused them :D . Im guessing its drummed into them thats the way they are supposed to do it, and i suppose if they get the model wrong and you kick up a fuss about it, its them who will get it in the neck, so they are covering themselves.

Granted they do come across as just not wanting to be helpfull. I ended up getting a chassis number off of another UK mr2 to get my HG in the end!

yeah I know what you're saying, it was the condescending / patronising way in which he dealt with me that I didn't like at all

*sarcastic mode on* "do _you_ work at a toyota spares department?" *sarcastic mode off* said the man from the toyota spares dept...

no need for it! was satisfying to ring back with the exact part/no :D