The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front Brake pads.

robin

I am looking for some front pads (UK spec) The only ones I have found so far are the following:

Blackdiamond Predator pads £41.41

EBC redstuff (ment to be OEM) £82.78

EBC yellowstuff (ment to be uprated) £87.14

Has anyone used any of the above? Or can anyone reccomend anything better? I need a pad that works ok from cold and to be honest I think the standard ones do the job so uprated ones arent required... but if they arent to pricey id have them. Any thoughts?

Fast road UK fronts in stock at £90 a set plus 5.80 P&P. Rcae compounds at £180 for fronts only (but just front race pads are a BAD idea). My fast road pads in UK calipers will stand many peoples idea of track day usage, too. For serious F1 aspirers the race compounds are needed

The EBC pads are total, utter rubbish, IMO.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm not after anything too exotic as my car is a daily driver but uprated is always better, especially for the weekends.

Is it safe to go for either the fast roads or the TRD's for the front but not the rears? What prices can you guys do for both front and rear pads? Will these last longer then the stock ones? the fronts have only done 6k so far and are nearly done.

Thanks in advance..

Full set of my J-Spec (small caliper) pads is 130 plus P&P. VERY few sets left at this price now. It's MUCH better to fit them as a full car set. Given similar usage these pads should last longer than stock pads. The sort of wear you have seen suggests seized caliper pistons or caliper slider pins.

Just ordered a full set of CW fast road pads. Based on everyone’s reviews/comments about them on the forum they seemed like the best ones to go for.

Also had a pair of 255/40/17 Toyo T1R's delivered today and should be fitted tomorrow. I'm hoping with the new rubbers and pads my rear end will be as tight as a nuns snatch :D

I did a search on the forum for 'cw pads' and 'chris wilson pads'

The consensus seems to be that they offer good performance but arent harsh on your disks or overly dusty like other fast road pads.

:hijack:

Chris Wilson: Is it possible to make the JDM Spec brakes set up work for serious fast road usage, given just the right pads, discs and fluid?

I'm asking because maybe my wheels don't clear UK brakes and i cant afford to buy new, proper wheels set (Blitz Technospeed Z1 18'').

Some info for you: I want build 400FWHP Supra in next couple of months. I drive my car quite "aggressive", and when (next year) i will move to south England i will start fun with track days (~6 td yearly).

Which fluid and discs are you recommend?

:hijack:

Chris Wilson: Is it possible to make the JDM Spec brakes set up work for serious fast road usage, given just the right pads, discs and fluid?

I'm asking because maybe my wheels don't clear UK brakes and i cant afford to buy new, proper wheels set (Blitz Technospeed Z1 18'').

Some info for you: I want build 400FWHP Supra in next couple of months. I drive my car quite "aggressive", and when (next year) i will move to south England i will start fun with track days (~6 td yearly).

Which fluid and discs are you recommend?

When I had my Supra TT I did maybe 30 track days with it. It was an auto, on stock J-Spec brakes in stock 16 inch rims. I could just about make them survive track usage (and my idea of track usage is to nail its hat on, for 25 minutes at a time). I used SRF fluid, my race compound pads, and stock Toyota discs. The plastic valve caps on the tyre valves would drip onto the tramac, and if I couldn't light my fag off the front discs AFTER having done the tyre temps after a run, then I hadn't been trying. Make no mistake, it needs bigger brakes, but you CAN make them just about live on the track, used hard. The pads are £380 a full car set, and the fluid isn't cheap either. You must use decent PTFE linered braided hoses, too. If you can properly duct air to the front discs this will help a lot, too. I can supply all you need, save ducting kits, which you'd have to do as a one off. Whether you think it more cost effective to put bigger brakes on it is another matter.

When I had my Supra TT I did maybe 30 track days with it. It was an auto, on stock J-Spec brakes in stock 16 inch rims. I could just about make them survive track usage (and my idea of track usage is to nail its hat on, for 25 minutes at a time). I used SRF fluid, my race compound pads, and stock Toyota discs. The plastic valve caps on the tyre valves would drip onto the tramac, and if I couldn't light my fag off the front discs AFTER having done the tyre temps after a run, then I hadn't been trying. Make no mistake, it needs bigger brakes, but you CAN make them just about live on the track, used hard. The pads are £380 a full car set, and the fluid isn't cheap either. You must use decent PTFE linered braided hoses, too. If you can properly duct air to the front discs this will help a lot, too. I can supply all you need, save ducting kits, which you'd have to do as a one off. Whether you think it more cost effective to put bigger brakes on it is another matter.

Thank you for good info.

My Supra is just my toy (i don't use the car for commuting for example) but i'm afraid that race pads are not good idea for daily use.

I want buy UK brakes, your fast road pads, braided hoses, proper fluid, and Toyota OEM UK TT discs but I can't find any information (offset) about my wheels (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=109385).

I will go to local Supra meet in Aberdeen next month and i will try to find a uk car (or JDM wit UK brakes) and try to fit my wheels (if owner will be so kind and allows me to do this).

As i wrote above i can't afford to buy new, good quality wheels.

If my wheels will not clear UK brakes i will just buy new OEM JDM Spec Discs, braided hoses, proper fluid and fast road pads. I hope that stopping power will be good enough.

I've used CW pads all round for my current Jspec setup for all my track and hillclimbing and I have found them brilliant, work really well from cold as you dont get chance to warm them up. but i'm starting to exceed them a bit and need to uprate the calipers to something bigger :)

As said about the ebc stuff shite, i fitted a full set of wilsons race pads at the start of the year and bygum are they good, abit dusty, but you cant have it all.

I've used CW pads all round for my current Jspec setup for all my track and hillclimbing and I have found them brilliant, work really well from cold as you dont get chance to warm them up. but i'm starting to exceed them a bit and need to uprate the calipers to something bigger :)

Do you use racing or fast road cw pads?

fast road, dont know if i would get any heat into the race ones for them to work? Would do on a track though

They work straight away, have been on my NA supra for everyday driving for 2+ yrs and i have never noticed them to take time to warm up.......i'm sure they don't bite as well the first time of asking, as opposed to when warm/hot, but the are still far better than stockers at any temperature......

Dust (and price!) is the only drawback to them IMO.....

Apec items from Southern exhausts were fitted to Annas NA the other day and they do the job nicely.

a bargain at about 20 quid! lol

i have used these on the track and they only started to fade a bit after a 15 min session.

ok its an NA, but this was at bedford and there are two biggish straights; i dont hang about either.