The mkiv Supra Owners Club

0-60 times with a G meter

tucky40

Hey guys,

I bought one of these not long ago as i was interested to see what sort of 0-60 times my car was capable of. These are supposed to be extremely accurate and in theory they are.

I did some runs on the flattest quiet roads i could find but still got some very random readings. I noticed that the meter tended to read a G force while stationary on every road as every road has a slight slope of some kind. The only way i can get it to read zero G whilst stopped is to physically tilt the meter in its bracket before every run which just isnt practical and isnt neccessarily more accurate as i dont have a control reading to compare against.

surely its the change in G which is used in calculations and therefore any slight G reading before a run doesnt matter.

Has anyone used these before and if so, how the hell are u supposed to get these things to work accurately??

I have the Gtech Pro.........link is below.

http://www.gtechpro.com/?gclid=CMHH5aDl2YsCFQrilAodvWePVw

Thanks again, Ben.

So these things dont seem at all practicle really homer. You find a nice quiet stretch of 'flat road'. Notice your showing a G reading and therefore this road really isnt flat at all. Pop the car in neutral, hand brake on, tilt your meter untill it reads zero. Just as your ready to go you see a car coming in your rear view mirror and so you have to bin the run and start all over again.

This is the problem ive had so far and i cant find a totally private road anywhere near me!!

I've got the one from Race Technologies and it is very accurate.

No phantom Gs, no bull bhp (once you've taken the time to enter the static figures correctly)

Repeatable 1/4mile times down to 1/10 second.

I've only had it for 4-5 years, can't imagine how I lived without one before.

Kinda like the Wideband display, it helps you replace bullshoite theories and wishful thinking with hard numbers.

I've got a G-Tech Pro RR and it's brilliant. You are aware that you can plonk it in anyhow and then calibrate it on a flat bit of road just the once...? Slight inclines don't affect the results. I was datalogging people's trips around the 'ring with mine, great fun!

-Ian

I've got a G-Tech Pro RR and it's brilliant. You are aware that you can plonk it in anyhow and then calibrate it on a flat bit of road just the once...? Slight inclines don't affect the results. I was datalogging people's trips around the 'ring with mine, great fun!

-Ian

Thinking of picking one of these up myself, really, how accurate are they? They must be using some sort of black magic to get your RPMs through the cigarette lighter, surely? :D

Too good to be true?