The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear wheel drive

uezzell

I have driven RW drive before but never owned one. Im selling my golf and hopefully getting a RW drive car but don't know what to go for. you guys prob here this all the time but i can afford a supra auto tt but not sure if i should start with a N/A. or my othe choice was a 325i sport which i've always liked but are a bit old now and like the supra better.

totally different cars mate, i used to have a 325i E30. But my first car was a 2.0 capri, so obviously rear wheel drive. It taught me a lot.

Up to you mate, but you have to know from day 1 that if you drive it like a prat, you will end up in a bush, or worse.

To be honest, it made me think this weekend. How do the guys with loads of power keep on the road. It was raining on Sunday after a lovely day on the Saturday and although my rears aren't full of tread, about 3mm the car lost tractiuon on a couiple of occasions.

I tried to get away quickly down a slip road and the car was all over the place.

That said, I went out in the wifes Beemer an hour later and that was spinning too with the TC light coming on every couple of mins!!

H.

......Up to you mate, but you have to know from day 1 that if you drive it like a prat, you will end up in a bush, or worse.

:yeahthat: I have an NA and its no slouch at around 220bhp but Supra's are well know to be somewhat tail happy :innocent: Its about getting to know the limits of the car and what/how you handle it, when to push, when to back off but it can still bite when you least expect it, but then thats part of the fun of supra ownership ;)

Have you looked into the insurance aspects of owning? NA's are j-spec and can cost as much as a UK TT to insure. They're a bit thirsty too :eyebrows:

Good luck whichever way you go, they're HUGE fun :D

Linda

x

They're a bit thirsty too :eyebrows:

I think we've established I must drive like my granny because Guildford-> Pod, 5 runs then -> Guildford and I got 34mpg!!! (in a TT Auto)

Although I've not driven mine in a rain storm yet, just normal rain, I've not had the traction control cut in once, nor has it in anyway slid or got "Tail Happy".

I think it must very much depend on how much of a hurry you are in ;)

As long as you dont think you can smash it at corners like a front wheel drive saxo in the wet you'll be fine. It will catch you out a few times but do what i did.

Find a big roundabout, bad weather and go round speeding up slowly and you will see how the car reacts, obviously i would only suggest this when even the dead people are asleep.

:yeahthat:

Just respect the power...

And abuse it on sunny days :innocent:

I'll second that :D

But I would suggest that if you do buy it, you take it out on a closed road (airfield, skidpan or whatever) in the wet and see what it does before attempting to give it beans on the wet roads :eyebrows:

I think a lot depends on your general dirving expereince and maturity. If you're the sort of person that drives ten tenths then it's probably not a good choice for a 1st high powered RWD car, if you're sensible and can read road conditions then you should be fine.

I would not recommend a modded one as a first car, BPU supra's are more of a handful

PS: You've run out of posts so will not be able to respond until you join up ;)

I think we've established I must drive like my granny because Guildford-> Pod, 5 runs then -> Guildford and I got 34mpg!!! (in a TT Auto)

Although I've not driven mine in a rain storm yet, just normal rain, I've not had the traction control cut in once, nor has it in anyway slid or got "Tail Happy".

I think it must very much depend on how much of a hurry you are in ;)

34 mpg?!?! Damn, that's impressive mate! Does that mean you weren't actually trying at Pod then? :p

You're obviously a calm and collected driver compared to most.

The TC I find quite erratic in terms of when it cuts in and what it does. I'm not technically minded, but sometimes it just cuts the power, which would be highly dangerous if you were pulling out onto a dual carriageway from a short sliproad.

Back on topic, my Supra TT is my first RWD car. I was so ridiculously nervous driving it for the first couple of months, so I took it very easy. Now the roads are drying out I'm starting to learn how it handles. As others have said, if you respect the car and slowly build your confidence you should be fine.

Just get a TT! I got one as my first rear wheel drive car and i love it! It can be a bit twitchy in the wet and i wouldnt even start it in the snow but as long as you take a while to get used to it you will be fine. Definetly do as others have said and have a bit of a practise learning the cars limits in an empty car park it definetly helped me

I currently own a SEAT Leon Cupra (same chassis as your golf) and I'm going straight to the TT - not bothering with the NA.

Apologies to those NA owners out there, but the Supra LOOKS like a quick car - I'd rather have a car that LOOKS quick and IS quick, rather than all-show, no-go...

Seriously i mean no offence to the NA peeps - but my Leon has the same power.

I just plan to be VERY sensible with it, until i know the car better, and even then, I'll be driving like my gran :)

I currently own a SEAT Leon Cupra (same chassis as your golf) and I'm going straight to the TT - not bothering with the NA.

Apologies to those NA owners out there, but the Supra LOOKS like a quick car - I'd rather have a car that LOOKS quick and IS quick, rather than all-show, no-go...

Seriously i mean no offence to the NA peeps - but my Leon has the same power.

I just plan to be VERY sensible with it, until i know the car better, and even then, I'll be driving like my gran :)

Have you been reading my sig Pabs??:D

H.