The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RAM air system for Supra??

MrHanky

Hi,

Whilst recently ordering one of Vicki's first mods for the Integra I came across something on the Gruppe M site. They do a basic filter encased in aluminium (basicly a K & N in alu) but I also noticed the following for an Aristo. Now this is the same engine number and I was wondering what people thought to this. Firstly do you think it could be fitted to a Supra? and secondly, are there any ramifications in doing so?

Just click on this link and then on the top option for FR-0018

http://www.gruppem.co.jp/application/ram_en/ms/toyota.html

I am totally inept when it comes to mechanics and have no idea about any of this, so feel free to call me stupid and say that I am wasting my time :) . I was just interested as its nice to try and do something different every once in a while.

Thanks

Mark

I don't see the point in them, it's like trying to pour water into an upside down funnel.

Although the one pictured does look quite nicely done, if a little pointless when you have pretty much the same thing as standard anyway.

I know what you and Chris mean with regards to whats the point, but it might be very good and it does look pretty nice. At the end of the day though I am just thinking of swapping for the sake of trying it and to have something slightly different.

I will have a think about it and see what Vicki's is like on the Integra when she gets hers. :)

Thanks

Mark

I can see the point of them on some cars but feel a lot of people view them as a "must have" without really considering how good the standard setup is on their particular engine.

Like you say it's something different and it's good to try things, fill your boots :)

I can see the point of them on some cars but feel a lot of people view them as a "must have" without really considering how good the standard setup is on their particular engine.

Like you say it's something different and it's good to try things, fill your boots :)

:) Think I am going to talk to Gruppe M and see if they are going to do a Supra specific version as im not sure about the fitment. If it will fit then I think I will give it a go :)

Guys,

Just a quick note:

Ram-air and Cold-air feeds are not exactly the same.

A Ram-air feed will also be a cold-air feed, but *not* the other way round.

A cold-air feed gives the benefit of the lowest possible intake temps (at the airbox entry point). That is potentially a 1% power gain per 4C of temp drop.

A ram-air feed adds the benefit of lower vacuum in the airbox under full load - at top speeds even a fraction of a psi over ambient pressure.

The stock supra intake is cold-air feed. Same as the one in Bob's pictures.

There is a feed under the headlight and one on top of the rad.

I've seen that but it points torwards the very front of the bonnet which has the rubber seal on and with the intercooler plate in place it doesn't look like it's got many gaps to draw air from. I haven't noticed the one by the headlight so I'll go and have a gander.

I've seen that but it points torwards the very front of the bonnet which has the rubber seal on and with the intercooler plate in place it doesn't look like it's got many gaps to draw air from. I haven't noticed the one by the headlight so I'll go and have a gander.

That's why the standard set up doesn't have a slam panel.Then it draws in air from infront of the rad.

It's also ram air, the top intake feeds from the "plenum" area in front of the rad. I have seen positive pressure here witha manometer. ...

Really?

So it's even better than I thought.;)

I didn't bother fitting a manometer on this stock airbox, because I thought that any excess pressure would be expeled from the intake underneath.

Guess Toyota engineers calculated airflows pretty well, eh?:)

The maximum I'ever managed to measure has been 0.4psi, but that was on a Kawasaki specially-designed ramair intake doing silly speeds.

The shape of the supra snorkel is nowhere near straight enough compared to those designs, but I guess it works better than it looks.

Well done japs!