The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrid results {confusing}

leonv

:) My Supra did a 13.25 quarter mile totally standard a year ago. I've now got stage 3 hybrids, 550 injectors, full de-cat and a front mounted intercooler. My time average at the pod was 13.8 with a 13.4 best at 1.3 bar boost . Before I waste some more cash can any of the members give me some advise or solutions from experience. Is hybrids a waste or do I have something missing in that combination.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Martin whats your reasoning behind that?

leanv have you had the car dyno'd to see whats going on?

Where do you want to start. Im just going out so ill be quick and finish it up later:-

1. Reliability

2. Lag

3. Cost

4. Heat.

5. Effeciency

In no particular order.

Martin whats your reasoning behind that?

leanv have you had the car dyno'd to see whats going on?

Not yet. Hybrids is suppose to spool quicker etc. With 550,s and higher boost, very dissapointing. The estimate for that combination is about 420bhp.

Where do you want to start. Im just going out so ill be quick and finish it up later:-

1. Reliability

2. Lag

3. Cost

4. Heat.

5. Effeciency

In no particular order.

According to hybrid websites lag should not be an issue, but say that is bollocks, it should make up for that once on boost

You did a 13.25 in a stock Supra? or did you mean in a BPU car with stock turbos.

How do your terminal speeds compare.. that can be the judge of the power of the hybrids.. you're probably losing time due to lack of grip.

Only a performance exhaust and running 1 bar boost. Terminal is exactly the same and not massive wheelspin.

Only a performance exhaust and running 1 bar boost. Terminal is exactly the same and not massive wheelspin.

Not stock then, its confusing when people say stock when they have decats and running increased boost etc :)

If the terminals are the same it would sound like the general power isnt a great deal different, possibly the spool is slower than your stock turbos causing your times to suffer? Shouldnt be like that I know.

How about your 60fts, losing it on the starts?

Not stock then, its confusing when people say stock when they have decats and running increased boost etc :)

If the terminals are the same it would sound like the general power isnt a great deal different, possibly the spool is slower than your stock turbos causing your times to suffer? Shouldnt be like that I know.

The car was still running both cats. 60fts has gone from 2200 to 2400.

As he said the terminals are the same despite a 0.3bar increase something is amiss in the stable yard. Boost leak perhaps? Not creating boost/much boost? Fuel cut? Running too rich?

:) My Supra did a 13.25 quarter mile totally standard a year ago.

Jesus, how the hell you do that? Rich and I in stock TT's managed low 14's (14.09). I've got different Air Filter, Spark plugs & Exhaust & Rich was totally stock.

Jesus, how the hell you do that? Rich and I in stock TT's managed low 14's (14.09). I've got different Air Filter, Spark plugs & Exhaust & Rich was totally stock.

The car was 350bhp on the fly before I decatted fitted FMI etc. Did not think the time was that exceptional.

yours the only special edition from toyota with that?

me think you need a new rolling road.

What is your point, That was the result from the dyno. I,ve got the time slip for the run. I am trying to get some advice on hybrids if that is not to much to ask. Not interested in cheap comments.

my point was.

Your dyno was way out with 350bhp stock,

jspecs are around 300-315

So if your dyno is showing 420bhp now, it probably wont be hence your disappointment.

Nothing like trying to help and getting shot down for it.

I dont really care if you have the printout or not, mine could read 490bhp, it doesent mean it is.

as for your run, you must not have set off as good heh

How have you remapped it to take account of the new boost curves? I am not a fan of hybrids, even on an engine with a proper ecu. They just don't work well as the EXHAUST side is too small, and it's not possible to make it a worthwhile amount larger, so with a bigger or cut back compressor the things become imbalanced.

What is your point, That was the result from the dyno. I,ve got the time slip for the run. I am trying to get some advice on hybrids if that is not to much to ask. Not interested in cheap comments.

Ric was making a very valid point - that RR figures cannot be relied upon. The inital power figure is way off what a stock car would be, which means the 2nd shouldn't be relied upon (bad RR/operator).

What it does show is the car has made an apparent 60bhp increase with the decat & hybrids (assuming the results are form the same RR). However that won't necessarily mean a better time. One thing the results from yesterday showed is drag times are much more down to driver, weather, track condition (it changes dramtically between days, and even time of day, humidity, sunlight, what has run before you, etc), blah, blah.

my point was.

Your dyno was way out with 350bhp stock,

jspecs are around 300-315

So if your dyno is showing 420bhp now, it probably wont be hence your disappointment.

Nothing like trying to help and getting shot down for it.

I dont really care if you have the printout or not, mine could read 490bhp, it doesent mean it is.

as for your run, you must not have set off as good heh

If you take the time to read the 1st thread you will realise that i don't give a shit about the bhp. My point is this. Buy a car with Nur Spec exhaust induction system and according to Dyno running 350 bhp at 1 bar boost. I did a 13.25 quartermile. I then decatted the car, FMIC, hybrids, 550 injectors, running 1.3 boost etc etc. This should in principal give me a better result and it is not. I only want to know if there might be something in that combination that I am overlooking. Not interesred in another boring dyno argument.

Ric was making a very valid point - that RR figures cannot be relied upon. The inital power figure is way off what a stock car would be, which means the 2nd shouldn't be relied upon (bad RR/operator).

What it does show is the car has made an apparent 60bhp increase with the decat & hybrids (assuming the results are form the same RR). However that won't really mean a better time. One thing the results from yesterday showed is drag times are much more down to driver, weather, track condition (it changes dramtically between days, and even time of day, humidity, sunlight, what has run before you, etc), blah, blah.

The 420 bhp is what I was told to expect and not a result from the RR.