The mkiv Supra Owners Club

oh dear!! The Return!

Tricky-Ricky

Some of you may remember a post of the same name last year, in fact i'm pretty sure it was also April,

anyway, finished my UK turbo install yesterday and today off i go for a bit of a drive to set up the boost controller and a bit of remapping, notice that the turbos are a bit more laggy, and also that i needed to set the boost controller to 65-70 set and the same for gain just to get 1.0 bar:blink:

Anyway i digress, did an oil change yesterday as well, thought i would go to 10W 40 instead of the 5W 30 i had been using, see a pattern forming here?

on my return journey i start to notice a little smoke, nearly home by this time, so i'm thinking the worst like turbo seals of something broken, and there rebuilt units!:( anyway pull up to park and decide if i could provoke it to smoke again just to see if it looked turbo related or valve stem seals, no smoke, so park up and pop the bonnet to be greeted by oil in the under tray, pulled off the cam belt cover to find the tell tale oil around the area, so it looks like the front main seal has gone yet again! BOLLOCKS!!

I am now convinced that this is down to oil/pressure and not crank case pressure, as i have absolutely no oil mist in the breather system or from the dump valve, my compression is very good and before some people say its down to more boost pressure causing blow by, i only ran 1.0 bar, was running 1.4 on occasion before i changed the oil and turbos,

i have always had high oil pressure, and am now convinced it has an impact, IE forced past the pump to put more pressure on the seal, looks like its time to fit some small screws + washers, and hope the rear one holds.

Oil pressure should dissapate when it gets to the crankcase mate.

You would have to have a full sump to get the hydraulic effect to pump up the pressure so much that it pops the seal. not expert and sure that Gaz Walker and co. can sort it, but it sounds like crankcase pressure from blow by. Or an old seal. Needs changing. Sorry man.

Oil pressure should dissapate when it gets to the crankcase mate.

You would have to have a full sump to get the hydraulic effect to pump up the pressure so much that it pops the seal. not expert and sure that Gaz Walker and co. can sort it, but it sounds like crankcase pressure from blow by. Or an old seal. Needs changing. Sorry man.

The oil pump is directly behind the seal separated by a small gallery with a oil drain hole, it is suspected in some circles that this is a known cause of seal failure, as i said i have no issues with crankcase pressure etc, and i replaced the seal last year, as i said the oil is the only change, other than the turbos.

thanks for the sympathy though:)

Has the inner lip (that runs on the crank surface) been damaged in any way?

No mate checked it before and during install, the crank itself had very very slight signs of scratching which i polished out with 2000 paper, i even drove the seal very slightly further in to avoid and issues due to this, i am firmly convinced that its down to the oil grade change coupled with pressure relief/over pressure, possibly due to an extra spring, causing to much oil going into the gallery behind seal and not being able to drain quick enough, see my "oil pressure/relief valve question in tech.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes mate thanks for asking,i replaced the seal etc and managed to fook my back up, followed by my heater tidy up hose mod splitting and stranding me, haven't had a real chance to drive the dam thing as my back is only just allowing me to get around properly now, so have to keep my fingers crossed that nothing else goes wrong;)

oh bugger! but it has, i think i also have a door lock motor go:blink: you did ask;) think i know how you have been feeling about your car recently;)

edited the thread title.

Im sure I asked a few months back for people to stop swearing on the forum and in particular to stop swearing in subjects of threads.

JB

Sorry squire, tugs forelock, but you know how certain words sums up a series of unfortunate events;)