The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What the hell...

SupraGirlie

Am I doing with a slow N/A Supra!!!!

I have just done a quote online and the TT (import) has come up cheaper!!!!

And from what I have read on this site, they have pretty much the same MPG???! (I'm spending HUGE amounts on petrol daily almost so may aswel justify it by having a Turbo!?)

I'm not happy!!! I am now thinking about putting it up for sale right now, before I start to bodykit and respray it in the next month!

Only thing is, I would want another aerotop, are they massivley more expensive to buy in TT?

Also, are they alot more to maintian?

aerotop is only available in auto, technically. some manuals exist, but from my understanding they are conversions.

TTs are awesome! Even though I have only driven mine once in 1 years ownership (well beginning of May is one year).

Personally, I would say get the TT before spending money.

I have just done a quote online and the TT (import) has come up cheaper!!!!

And from what I have read on this site, they have pretty much the same MPG???! (I'm spending HUGE amounts on petrol daily almost so may aswel justify it by having a Turbo!?)

The insurance is pretty much the same between an import TT and NA. The UK Spec TT is MUCH cheaper to insure, usually half the amount.

I'm not happy!!! I am now thinking about putting it up for sale right now, before I start to bodykit and respray it in the next month!

Only thing is, I would want another aero top, are they massively more expensive to buy in TT?

Yes, they are a lot more expensive (i.e. rarer) to buy. You'd need £8-9k minimum to get a good aero (unless you are into the auction thing).

Also, are they a lot more to maintain?
Routine maintenance is much the same as the NA, though oil/spark changes are slightly more frequent. Everything changes if you modify.

Major problems, though very rare on stock TT's, can cost significant sums of money. The more modified, the more it costs.

Guest Geneb
A lead foot doesn't help ;) When you calm down and get used to it, 300-350 miles per tank is about right for a BPU TT.

Thank f**k for that lol

Thank f**k for that lol

Doesn't stop the lead foot though ;) For me it's a "f**k it" situation, its more fun to make the most of the car than worry about fuel consumption :D

It's 300 miles of "fun" in an NA, compared to 250 miles of "Holy feck, it's fast" in a TT.

Big single is something else (when it works!)

Guest Geneb
Doesn't stop the lead foot though ;) For me it's a "f**k it" situation, its more fun to make the most of the car than worry about fuel consumption :D

It's 300 miles of "fun" in an NA, compared to 250 miles of "Holy feck, it's fast" in a TT.

Big single is something else (when it works!)

really must go out in a single everyone keeps on about em

Cheers Homer :) Might have to save up over summer for a TT aerotop!! Untill then I may even buy a hardtop TT manual, I can't get on with the auto tbh! (Still confused why it needs about 5 buttons and what they all do!)

I thought the N/A did about 20mpg and the TT 18mpg, why is the N/A so thirsty, I fill up 3 times a week!

The insurance is pretty much the same between an import TT and NA. The UK Spec TT is MUCH cheaper to insure, usually half the amount.

That used to be the case but not so much now. For me last year, an online quote was exactly the same for a j-spec as for a uk car (direct line). I know I'm old, but now, as part of a 3 car multi-car policy with Admiral, the Supra (GZ) is less than £300 a year fully comp (protected), whereas when I bought it in 2001, insurance was around £750, with full no claims. The import stigma seems to have gone now.

Cheers Homer :) Might have to save up over summer for a TT aerotop!! Untill then I may even buy a hardtop TT manual, I can't get on with the auto tbh! (Still confused why it needs about 5 buttons and what they all do!)

I thought the N/A did about 20mpg and the TT 18mpg, why is the N/A so thirsty, I fill up 3 times a week!

If you want to make the switch all I can recommend is to take a TT auto and TT manual for a drive. The TT auto is extremely good and (IMO) is no comparison to the NA auto - they are worlds apart in drivability.

That used to be the case but not so much now. For me last year, an online quote was exactly the same for a j-spec as for a uk car (direct line). I know I'm old, but now, as part of a 3 car multi-car policy with Admiral, the Supra (GZ) is less than £300 a year fully comp (protected), whereas when I bought it in 2001, insurance was around £750, with full no claims. The import stigma seems to have gone now.

You're right there Gordon, though age does seem to have a massive impact on the quotes members are getting. As we all expect, the differences on all cars narrow the older we get :D

I don't think I would want a TT auto, doesn't make sense! Auto is so boring!!

Don't knock it till you tried it.. seriously! You WILL be surprised on just how good the TT auto is.

Then again it would have to be an auto if I wnated a TT aerotop wouldn't it!!
Yep, unless you have a spare arm or leg to spare to convert it (or buy one of the 2 or 3 already done). If not you have a long waiting list for the conversion kit.

Gordon, Admiral quoted me over 300 less on the UK spec!!!
All well and good. Now go and find a UK spec 6spd TT ;) They do not grow on trees, last estimates put it at much less than 50 left now.

Sell N/A buy TT, problem solved! :p

Edit: Took a fellow members(Lorraine) car out(Auto) and to be fair there not bad at all, you'd be surprised when you drive one.

You wont regret buying a TT, first time i went out in one was when i bought mine from Jurgen. Bloody hell the thing could shift, and the Insurance was well cheap as Fook.

Now i want more power so going Single In 2 weeks time at Turbo Fit, WooHoo!

G.

Perhaps I should test drive one, but an auto box is still boring, although I haven't got the hang of the over drive button and whats that manual button and the red button lol nothing beats the manual box though surely!

Until you've driven one I think it a little unfair to assume it's boring! I've driven a load of TT's and two 'single' auto's of various spec, none of which I would describe boring!

In fact, I'd say they were 'exciting' to 'fookin scary'!

Perhaps I should test drive one, but an auto box is still boring, although I haven't got the hang of the over drive button and whats that manual button and the red button lol nothing beats the manual box though surely!

I was of the same opinion on getting an auto at first. Having now got one, there's nothing boring about it at all, seriously! The overdrive button and manual mode buttons can generally be ignored - I didn't even use them for the first 3 and a half months that I had the car.

It's obviously each to their own, but definitely try and get a test drive in an auto if you're considering upgrading to a TT. I found it especially handy to start with cos it meant I could keep both hands on the wheel while screaming with joy :D

Until you've driven one I think it a little unfair to assume it's boring! I've driven a load of TT's and two 'single' auto's of various spec, none of which I would describe boring!

In fact, I'd say they were 'exciting' to 'fookin scary'!

I am sure there are excitng and all that but it's even more fun with a manual and must be slightly quicker? And your more in control of the car, so many more plus's for a manual! I guess I just miss having a clutch and changing gears lol