The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much did you pay to get your dash panels sprayed

edge

rubber stuff came off ok even though i no longer have any feeling in my fingers :lol:

Primed up with a few coats of the halfords plastic primer, smotthed, black top, smoothed, then clear on top of that. Started to crack and fish eye.

Im a perfectionist and want them in gleaming black with lacquer to last but im no good as i found out.

If you think you can do it dave then you can. Will it be ok with the paint thats on them (just the radio surround and gear surround ive ruined so far) .I will removed all the rubber stuff from the rest ,I want a glass like finish

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna take a trip to Halfrauds after work today and get some plastic primer....

I think that the foliatech (or whatever it's called) paint was a mistake too... It seems to be designed to preserve the texture of the surface, which in my case meant the scratches... :(

What's the best process for cleaning the surface? Wet and dry, wash down and then clean with white spirit?

Guest Phillw454
I need mine done as i cocked them up.

Lesson learned and money wasted.:(

I cocked mine up on the weekend too, going to try again today:d

its so simple a job lol my only problem was after i finished painting it you could see all the wee damage marks that were there from the previous owner :(

a little wet and dry sand paper (just to take the shine off)

a full tin of halfrauds plastic primer

a quick wet and dry (not to hard)

then add your paint on evenly and smoothly (dont be holding the trigger on, small blasts but keep your hand moving)

let it dry

then a full tin of lagour (excuse the spelling)

job done

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/7615/image009ly4.jpg

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/6501/image017ff9.jpg

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/1389/image021wp8.jpg

I'm thinking about doin my dash panels too. gonna use the advise given here and try doin it myself too. The panel I'm gonna start with is a broken spare one anyways so I'll give it a go on that.

Most of my dash panels are still in tact and unscratched. Is it gonna look really silly if I just do the auto box panel in a gloss black? or should I do the whole set?

If it all goes pear shaped I can always get the local sprayers to do it.