The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Battery

Guest gzaerojon

Guest gzaerojon

I know this is a bit of a newbie question but i need a battery and was just wondering what you guys use or recomend?

getting one tomorrow as mines stuffed and i need to get the car out ;)

Guest gzaerojon

thanks for the replys chaps :) what type (model number) do i go for? i want to make sure i know what i'm asking for, and the one on the soop at the moment is the wrong one i think

cheers :)

Guest gzaerojon

'kin el how much are batteries!!

just bought a hcb005 for £70 :blink: having said that the last battery i bought was for my mk1 xr2 in 1997 and it was £30 lol

thanks for the help chaps :)

I just bought an hcb005 too

figured any battery with a 4 year replacement gaurantee must either be pretty good or I'll be getting a new battery in a 3-4 years time, either way I'm happy :)

but whats that widget bit of pipe that comes with it, an L shaped piece. Is that meant to be fitted all the time or just for charging or maybe even topups.

the hole in the top telling you its charged state is a cool feature :)

just need to fit it now, might have another go tonight now I've worked out how to disable my alarm lol

but whats that widget bit of pipe that comes with it, an L shaped piece. Is that meant to be fitted all the time or just for charging or maybe even topups.

Its the degas vent pipe.

Allows the oxygen/hydrogen generated to safely vent out of the battery box (some cars have a sealed box so need the vent hose to go through a hole to the outside). it also carries any acid vapour away (not good for paintwork).

Just stick it downwards somewhere away from the battery & any sources of sparks :eyebrows:

Its the degas vent pipe.

Allows the oxygen/hydrogen generated to safely vent out of the battery box (some cars have a sealed box so need the vent hose to go through a hole to the outside). it also carries any acid vapour away (not good for paintwork).

Just stick it downwards somewhere away from the battery & any sources of sparks :eyebrows:

cheers :)

--

well I've just finally changed it over. Had to put new battery terminals on in the end, the existing ones where a bit too small and also crappy...

anyway, job done but:

the battery is slightly taller and the bar that was holding it in place now is too high up.

What do people do with this, bend it? Not sure if my bar is non-standard biut it's pretty meaty to bend!

is there a replacement battery clamp bar that will fit with this commonly fitted hcb005 battery?