The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car Sale tips - being viewed tomorrow

Feakins

Car went on autotrader on Wednesday night and a guy rang me earlier who is coming tomorrow from Slough to have a look.

Looks like he's going to bring enough cash tomorrow and buy it there and then if he likes it.

It's a bit worrying having so much cash so the plan was to take him to the bank (where I work) and pay the money in there. Obviously its a lot of money to spend so he might want a test drive, but I've heard some bad stories so I think its fair I say no test drives.

Any tips would be helpful as I haven't sold many cars.

The guy who I sold my car to (James/Cheekymonkey on here) never drove my car before buying it. I took him for a spin in it and he bought it. He pretty much knew he was going to buy it as soon as he saw it. Besides, when you import a Supra you dont get to even see it in the flesh let along test drive it before you put most of the cash down.

Take him for a spin in it I say, he should be happy with that. You should be able to tell how serious he is, so see how it goes on the day.

Gaz :)

You guys that wouldn't let the prospective buyer test drive the car, did you buy your car without driving it then?

I drove mine (it was off a trader so was covered by insurance), but I wouldn't have an issue if, in future, the owner of a car I was buying asked for insurance to be arranged.

You guys that wouldn't let the prospective buyer test drive the car, did you buy your car without driving it then?

My first Supra was a private import so no and my last Supra was bought off a mate who trusted me so yes but I would have bought it just by him taking me out in it, I knew I was gonna buy it before I went in it TBH

Yeah take him for a spin unless he has insurance documents to show you.

A big thing that puts buyers off is if you follow them round while they look at the car. I find it works best to just step back and leave them to it.

There are some easy rules to follow to protect yourself. Do you have a mate who will be with you when the guy turns up? Have a mate follow you on the test drive if you can.

Go for a test drive with you driving. If he is insured he will not have a certificate but he should at least have a policy number.

If you swap places, take the keys out, open the passenger door and then hand him the keys while you are sat in it.

If he offers cash then I would insist on either paying it into the bank immediatly or give it to someone you can trust and get them to take it away from the car before you hand over the documents.

Most people are genuine and if they are reasonable they will understand you being cautious. Leave him with the car and don't mither the buyer but do not leave him with the keys even for a second.

A lot is common sense really!

H.

Yep thanks for that ^

My mate is coming now who is a copper, just need to make sure I always have the keys on me, and I don't think I will let him test drive it, I could say you pay me the money and then you can drive me home if for some reason you have changed your mind because of test driving it you can have your money back.

I was with a mate of mine when he took a bloke out for a test drive in a Volvo T5 he was selling. He took him for a good spirited drive to show the car ran as it should.At the end the (youngish) bloke asked for a drive himself, his reply was that it wasnt necessary as he had taken him out so he could see there wasnt any probs (suspecting he was a tyre kicking test pilot)...... He still brought the car though .. I goy my supe off a trader without even having a ride in the passenger seat....

Just use common sense :) Most buyers are likely to be insured from a legal point of view with 3rd party. Dont forget this doesnt really help you if he/she crashes it though! So up to you if you risk it or not. Personally id be hard pushed to buy a car if i haddnt driven it.

Always go with them if you do let them drive, the number of people who are daft enough to let people go for a test drive without going with them, and then are shocked when they never see the car again :blink:

Dude i bought my supra off of wanted cash, and had a counterfit UV light all ready to check it when i came back and paid, which was fair enough! Bankers drafts are far better, and you can ring the issuing bank on the spot and check its not a fake one.