The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pod Newbie

cheekymonkey

Hi All

Right, I have decided to go for it and join everyone at Santa Pod on Saturday. I will be bringing my Supe but unsure if I will be competing or not as I haven't ever seen this done before, let alone done it myself.

Can someone run through what actually happens at these things? Are you racing against other people, or one at a time or what?

Would I need to bring anything special like insurance documentation or equipment?

I am also assuming this would be a great opportunity to meet other members and get some advice etc... :)

If this is a FAQ please point me in the right direction!

There is 1 track, with 2 lanes on it. You drive up to the start line and wait for the light to go green. Then you and the person in the other lane floor it until you reach the end marker where you have a reasonably long run off to slow down slowly.

You need your license. Your insurance wont be valid so there is no point bringing that. You can get special insurance for the day from Sky if you want.

You can race against the person next to you, you can just try to beat your own times, when the lights go green you don't have to set off, you can compose yourself and go when you are ready (your reaction time will suck but who cares?).

It's not a championship event, there isn't any pressure other than to enjoy yourself at a pace you are comfortable with - take a few runs, get used to it and by the afternoon you'll be hooked (or wondering where the rest of your driveshaft is ;))

See you there :thumbs:

Its pretty straight forward, bring your driving licence and sign on at the office then queue up (follow the Supras :D )

There are 2 lanes and before you get in to your lane there is a staging area where you do your burn out (optional) you then move forward towards the lights on the right hand side of the track on the floor you can see two yellow lines, this is where you want to line your wheels up with, as you roll your wheels over this mark a yellow light will appear on the traffic light followed by a second, stop you are now staged.

The car in the other lane will be doing the same as you, once both sets of lights are lit up the lights will moce through the sequence very quickly, my preference is to get in to the staged position before the other guy so that i can settle myself and get the revs up to the right point and anticipate the lights.

Thanks :D that's exactly what I needed to know. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I will definitely give it a go, however I fear the raw power of my supe will be let down by the lump of meat controlling the gearstick :rolleyes:

Dont worry about it get a few runs in and you'll be fine. I remember i stalled it on the line once, the adrenaline was pumping and i tried to move off in 3rd gear :p The crowd wnjoyed it and i managed a 16 second quarter mile :D

Dont worry about it get a few runs in and you'll be fine. I remember i stalled it on the line once, the adrenaline was pumping and i tried to move off in 3rd gear :p The crowd wnjoyed it and i managed a 16 second quarter mile :D

Haha, I can almost guarantee I will do the same thing. Should have gone for that auto box!!

16 sec is pretty damn good considering u stalled it!!:tongue:

You still did the quarter mile before my shitty 2nd car would get to 60!

I just upgraded from Spectator to Runner and have butterflies already !! Will be interesting as the car gets mapped to 1.4 Bar at Turbofit Friday so what a place to test it out :D

So you either have spare turbos sitting around, or you're dying for an excuse to go single? Either way, Fun!!