The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie - Needing help on purchasing a supra!

Guest Nova

Hi,

I got a call from my brother saying he wanted to sell one of his supra's Dirt cheap (Bargain price). Now i know for a fact he imported the car about 2 years ago and its been sat in his drive. Its was only run 100 miles in them 2 years.

Tbh he doesnt know fuck all about cars apart from knowing how to drive them. He claims it has a Single turbo but he rang me this morning saying hes unsure.

From the few times iv seen it, Its got a full bomex bodykit, HKS air filter, 17" rays rims, 4" exhaust, After market seats, Momo steering wheel.

Am assuming it might have been a Non turbo but then it might of had a turbo conversion in japan sometime.

My recognition to car parts is very low so am gonna ask the stupidest question. How'd i know if its got a turbo? (Doesnt the turbo hook up to a manifold?).

Iv read the guides on this forum which have been helpful.

Cheers

Have a look at the VIN plate and the engine code...

If it is 2JZ-GE then it the chassis originally had a non-turbo engine

If it is 2JZ-GTE then it the chassis originally had a turbo engine.

This does not mean that it hasn't had a GTE engine fitted or even an NA-T conversion. If it is running stock twins then it will be a GTE, as they don't fit onto the stock NA head.

PS : Watch the p's and q's though..

Cheers for the reply, How do i tell if it has a NA-T conversion?

Also, from when i saw it last weekend - after jump starting it it does let out a shit load of white smoke from the exhaust. it did stop leting smoke out after about 4-5 mins. Is this normal, it did look very excessive when it first started.

Take a pic of the engine bay and post it up and I am sure everyone on here will be able to tell you ;)

Will do, il be picking it up later today (Need to get insurance first and the garage needs clearing). Even if its a Non-turbo the price was unbelivably cheap hehe.

Cheers for the reply, How do i tell if it has a NA-T conversion?

Also, from when i saw it last weekend - after jump starting it it does let out a shit load of white smoke from the exhaust. it did stop leting smoke out after about 4-5 mins. Is this normal, it did look very excessive when it first started.

White smoke??? Hmmm, I'd prepared to start taking it apart...unless of course it is just startup condensation...

How cheap is cheap out of interest?

Currently uploading the pics i took on my phone.

Anyone know if its possible to get 3 people to legally sit in the back? (New rear seats from another car?). I know its cramped at the back as is but i really need to get 3 seats at the back. :rolleyes:

Currently uploading the pics i took on my phone.

Anyone know if its possible to get 3 people to legally sit in the back? (New rear seats from another car?). I know its cramped at the back as is but i really need to get 3 seats at the back. :rolleyes:

That is a big ask, it is so cramped in the back I would say it is going to be really uncomfortable

Guest Phillw454

Thats a normal NA from the looks, just a HKS induction kit and standard exhuast. No trubo:)

I never get any white smoke from mine:search:

He claims it has a Single turbo but he rang me this morning saying hes unsure.

It might be one of them homeopathic turbos.

I'm guessing Mr Wilson is less than impressed by the structural properties of the brace.

Come on lad, how much did you pay for the car?

Cost me £2K, with a spare TV and 4 new tyres. Hes also taxed and mot'd it. ('95 M reg with only 39K on the clock)

Having another look around it, its got some fucking awesome rims - will get pics later. Oh yeah, also has a brace in the boot!

Spare TV? A brace of what in the boot, pheasants? Good price, you should be able to turn a bit of profit on that.

The TV's one of them pioneer things that come out of the dash when you press the lid. Looks like a Cusco rear upper strut bar.

Will be keeping it for a while - Always wanted a Sports car (Makes a change to a 0'5 1.2 corsa).

So, what shall i upgrade next for more power lol! :p

Huddersfield, Am willing to spend up to 1K on it atm. Think il get the rims refurb'd first (Have a few scuffs on them), Then replace engine components.

What would be the cheapest but most effective mod that could be carried out - dont want to spend too much just yet?

Save your money, seriously. It's already got an exhaust to make it sound faster - either put the money towards an NA-T kit or invest in a decent service, some good tyres and a trackday or two to learn the limits of the car in safety.

The NA can eat a lot of cash for very little gain, you'd be better of leaving the engine alone, but healthy, and spending the cash on other things like body mods if you don't plan to turbo it.

Save your money, seriously. It's already got an exhaust to make it sound faster - either put the money towards an NA-T kit or invest in a decent service, some good tyres and a trackday or two to learn the limits of the car in safety.

The NA can eat a lot of cash for very little gain, you'd be better of leaving the engine alone, but healthy, and spending the cash on other things like body mods if you don't plan to turbo it.

Ah right, Still new to the supras so my knowledge is low. Are the engines in the TT the same as the one in the N/A but have been changed slighlty to accomodate the turbos (Ie: Stronger bottom end)?

2k for a manual NA is pretty good. I see it has ABS too, which is unusual on the Supra Popular Plus.

All in all a good buy for a NA. Well done. Shame the turbo was imaginary but for 2k you can't complain.

By the way, it doesn't have a full Bomex body kit.

ps,

As mentioned above, cut out the unnecessary swearing.