The mkiv Supra Owners Club

10 minute job, cough cough yeh right.

ShamelessTT

So here i was fitting new boot rubbers all round 3/4 done no problems........then number 4 oh my god what a bitch. Basically the 2 screws that hold on the rubber @ the bottom were completely solid stuck and after numerous red faced attempts i killed the heads.

Anyway turns out that some bright spark (i assume when the car was build) over did the thread lock on these ones to say the least. Sure as hell they wouldnt of come out on there own tho!

I had to use a serious set of grips, file down the heads and after much twisting finally removed the screws. Job done......took over an hour tho!!!!!!! for something id allocated 10 mins for loll.

Anyway the boot is totally sorted now shuts very nice and tight and no wobbles, highly recommend doing it as its a really cheap fix to an annoying problem!!.

Also did all my badges the other day (including "Supra" stick on only one) totally transforms the car makes it look so much newer at first impressions.

Why is it when a jobs going to well, you get shafted!

Basically at the moment with my Supra im doing all the little jobs and servicing stuff that needs doing before i modify it as then i know its at known state etc. (its completely stock right now, so i think this is a good plan of action?)

Si

Just did the exact same thing Shameless!

No end to the swear words. I don't have a vast selection of tools either so I'm havin to wait for my brother to bring his down.

Same thought.... easy ten minute job

Why o why didn't i douse them in WD

Out of interest is there some way to get down on level with the bottom screws any better? remove the actual rubber boot seal in that section? Seems I'm going in at a really dodgy angle?

Why o why didn't i douse them in WD

not entirely sure WD would make a huge difference mate as the problem is they're actually glued in!

best thing to do is cut the old rubber away as much as possible, shield the surrounding paintwork using random pieces of metal and then blow torch the nut thus melting the glue.

comes off easy as after that :)

ps

i wasn't brave enough to do that so got CW to do mine while i was in there :D

yeah this is a well known bitch of a job

had I known they were stuck due to thread lock at the time I would have wacked a meaty soldering iron on them to soften up the glue.

as it was I cut a big slot in the head with a hacksaw blade and used a big flat screwdriver, lots of brute force and ignorance and they come out eventually lol

Yeh i ended up cutting on the rubber away (well it came away it was that fucked anyway) and using high quality pentrating oil stuff and alot of muscle lol.

Heat would of been a good idea tho!.........hope there wont be a next time i have to do that but ill remember that just incase.

This forum has earn't its £10 membership loads of times and ive been a member less than a month!.

Once i get my car up 2 tip top condition ill be coming to the meets etc definately.

Si

Guest Phillw454

:rlol:

Yeah i get this with most of my cars botls, either there never going to come out or there just about to fall out!! scary really:D