The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Resolving squeeky belt noise

Henk

How do I make it go away? It's one of the rubber belts (not sure which or is it just one long one?) at the front of the engine right by the spinning propellor ;)

When cold it happens at start up, then after a few miles goes away.

Complete mechanical numptie here.....

Might be meeting Scooter later he might have an idea (and hopefully solution)

I've just had my cam and aux belts changed about a month ago. It still squeals a bit when cold, but it disappears after a short while. It doesn't bother me too much, especially since it lasts such a short time in this nice weather. If you ever figure out what causes it, let me know cos that'd save me being a mechanical numpty breaking things under the bonnet at some point later!

Check your crank pully isn't broken. The outer part becomes detached from the inner part and if you're lucky the belt will stay on. Mine did this and it squeeked when cold and ran normal while warm.

:yeahthat: !!!!!!!!!

It has a rubber ring connecting center to outer pulley (to stop vibrations). this deteriorates and the inner wheel spins inside outer creating it to spin. When it spins and warms it expands and stops squeaking - NOT FIXED, NOT GOOD!:( Eventually the front pully jumps off, losing all power steering etc and smashing the fan on the way out. IT HAPPENED TO ME!! About 5 years ago on a K reg NA. Chased it for ages, even changed the tonsioning arm. Get another of a scrap yard of a younger car or buy one from Toyota.

Do it before it creates too much damage. Wish I had been a memeber on here then as i could have saved a lot of hastle if someone would have told me.

Need any more help give me a shout.

Gary

I have a similar problem, really high pitch screech occationally on start up. Popped the AC on the other day whilst doing a 3 point turn and it went ballistic (combination of ac and ps pump on the belt i presume), so i can only assume its the crank pully? Get a quick screech on sharp changes of speed as well (engine start, dropping a cog etc)

Saw somewhere you can get shiney lighter ones... probably going to be a damn site cheaper than MR T too... anyone know where from?

I have a similar problem, really high pitch screech occationally on start up. Popped the AC on the other day whilst doing a 3 point turn and it went ballistic (combination of ac and ps pump on the belt i presume), so i can only assume its the crank pully? Get a quick screech on sharp changes of speed as well (engine start, dropping a cog etc)

Saw somewhere you can get shiney lighter ones... probably going to be a damn site cheaper than MR T too... anyone know where from?

Those shiney 'lighter' ones are much cheaper yeh (£60 iirc from ebay) but they're not the same as the stock ones and don't have a rubber dampener thingy. Trust me go with the stock one, I looked into all the others when buying mine and asked all the same questions you probably will. buying from Mr.T or Nic will possibly save you a fortune in the long run.

Those shiney 'lighter' ones are much cheaper yeh (£60 iirc from ebay) but they're not the same as the stock ones and don't have a rubber dampener thingy. Trust me go with the stock one, I looked into all the others when buying mine and asked all the same questions you probably will. buying from Mr.T or Nic will possibly save you a fortune in the long run.

Ive PM'd NIC, i have a few other bits as well so big savings to be had :) (fingers crossed)

cheers.

Aren't you going to check its definately the crank pully? lol, you should be able to see if the outer part has sheered off or not :)

It moves to a certain degree just with me sticking my hand down and pushing on it... that cant be good...

Im all for it not being that, im just getting prices incase it is :cool:

Any pictures of a good one about? I take it its two metal parts joined with a rubber section? (inner that mates with crank, rubber, outer to run aux belt)

no its not got to the parting company stage just yet. Im 99.99% sure its this that screeches, especially as it got much much worse when i put a load on the aux belt with the PS and AC pumps..

Sound plausable?

Yep :) exactly what mine did before I found it lying in the undertray. When locking the steering over when the car is stood still it got louder etc

Yep :) exactly what mine did before I found it lying in the undertray. When locking the steering over when the car is stood still it got louder etc

yeeeees, luckaly its doent do it often, hasnt done it on startup for a few days, so must be in the very beginning stages. It was like the noise a small dog would make if you stood on it - yelped (not a nice annalagy buy accurate!)

Scooter's just been round to look at it with me and my squeek is coming from the PAS pump area, it does not get louder with AC on or turning the wheel.

It is definitely NOT the duda pulley thing at the bottom, it does not move one millimeter even with revving the engine.

I can't tell whether it is the belt going round the PAS pump pulley or the pump itself. More investigation tomorrow.

As soon as a sprayed WD-40 on the axle / nut of the PAS pump the squeek went away instantly.

I can only conclude that:

It is not internal to the pump

Nor is it the expensive wheel at the bottom flying off

Problem solved.

As soon as a sprayed WD-40 on the axle / nut of the PAS pump the squeek went away instantly.

I can only conclude that:

It is not internal to the pump

Nor is it the expensive wheel at the bottom flying off

Problem solved.

nice easy fix then :cool:

mines deffo the crank pully, tried the tipex trick last night, and the marks moved when i gave the AC some stick - DOH :rolleyes:

HI HO, HI HO, ITS OFF TO TOYOTA WE GO....