The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New FMIC and wheels

Ryan.G

Had a fun week and weekend this week as been mainly fitting my new fmic. I went for a new Hybrid rs spec intercooler mainly because i dont think anyone has used one yet and want to test it out. The core has larger end tanks and much better smoother design to the xs-power ones. It is also a tube and fine core not a Bar and plate design. The core it self is 95mm deep and a 3 row.

Now The fitting of the unit was not amazing as you normally have to move all the toyota ducting and overflow tank so i decided to get the welder out and make some custom brackets and mount the core slightly lower and flush with standard ducting.

Here is a pic of it finally fitted

Now this was the easy bit the hardest bit was making all the ducting to seal the intercooler to the water rad using fibreglass and high temp foam. Took a lot of trial and error but was worth it.

I also spent alot of time making up custom piping using some of old pipes to keep the standard airbox and toyota look in the engine bay :).

I had to modify the powersteering cooling pipes but nothing hard about that.

When i had finished doing the intercooler and fitting the bumper back on i decide to give my new wheels a coat of paint to match car better. This took ages also as one of the wheels reacted and took me all of sunday to strip back to alloy and spray again :(

Look lots better now :)

Its a hybrid rs spec brought from here http://www.hybrid-power.com/index.php

I did have a chris wilson intercooler before but the inlet temps were not what i wanted really at 1 bar when mapping the car so decided to go fmic as going single in next month or so.

The inlet temps now in the datalogs are around 35 and that was yesterday were ambient temp was around 23-25 degrees.

I was also watching the water temps on the powerfc also and max i saw was 89c and looking back at datalog from before with smic i was seeing the same so no water temp rise. just shows what proper ducting can do ;)