The mkiv Supra Owners Club

On the hunt for my first Supra!

Guest R McGeddon

Guest R McGeddon

Hello everyone, new member here, I've printed the pdf documents to arm me with the knowledge I need to hunt down my first Supra.

I can't wait :D

Welcome to the club :thumbs:

Good luck with your search, which model are you looking for NA or TT? Check out the classifieds section of the club, also worth contacting CJ and Jurgen-Jm-Imports both traders on the forum with very good reputation for supplying quality Supras.

If you find a motor you're interested in, post pics and details so we can give it the once over for you.

Guest R McGeddon

Thanks for the warm welcome, it's most appreciated.

The name is a bit of a play on words, but you all knew that already ;)

I'm undecided on the model at the moment, apart from the colour. I do have a preference for black cars.

I did notice in the pdf document where it says that imports can be more fussy, than UK cars, about which fuel they use.

Does anybody have any experience they may have about this, they could share?

Also, what mpg's do the N/A and TT return?

Welcome! You can't go wrong here, loads of experienced people with great advice.

The MPG thing has been done to death check this out:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/search.php?searchid=2684475

It really depends on how you drive more than anything I think.

I have a TT and am not a looney so I'm getting 28 - 32mpg (mostly motorway)

Average is 18-22 not much in it between NA & TT too it seems.

Hey everyone, check this out my first advice post!!!!! :)

Hi mate,

welcome to the club, I quite a novice compared to some of the chaps on this site. I have not even clocked up over 100 posts yet!! LOL :D

I've only had mine 6 weeks.

I would recommend to go for a TT rather than an NA, I was a bit like your self, should I buy a cheap one or push the boat out and buy a nice one. I would say if finance allows buy a nice one, less grief in the long term and at least you know it's been well looked after, and clean examples are rear and highly sought after, hence hold their value.

So wots your budget, are you after a completely stock car or one with a few mods?

Manual or Auto?

:cool:

Guest R McGeddon
Hi mate,

welcome to the club, I quite a novice compared to some of the chaps on this site. I have not even clocked up over 100 posts yet!! LOL :D

I've only had mine 6 weeks.

I would recommend to go for a TT rather than an NA, I was a bit like your self, should I buy a cheap one or push the boat out and buy a nice one. I would say if finance allows buy a nice one, less grief in the long term and at least you know it's been well looked after, and clean examples are rear and highly sought after, hence hold their value.

So wots your budget, are you after a completely stock car or one with a few mods?

Manual or Auto?

:cool:

I reckon I'll be going for the TT, I've done a couple of online insurance quotes, and the difference is only about 30 quid :D

I currently drive a 53 plate Astra SRi 2.2 which is low mileage and in immaculate condition. With what I could get for that and adding to it, I'll have a budget of roughly 8 to 9k for a Supra.

I don't mind one with a few mods, it will be that much less for me to do.

Undecided about the transmission, when a good car does eventually come along, would I be wise to take it regardless of whether it's manual or auto?

I'll throw that question open to everyone.

I reckon I'll be going for the TT, I've done a couple of online insurance quotes, and the difference is only about 30 quid :D

I currently drive a 53 plate Astra SRi 2.2 which is low mileage and in immaculate condition. With what I could get for that and adding to it, I'll have a budget of roughly 8 to 9k for a Supra.

I don't mind one with a few mods, it will be that much less for me to do.

Undecided about the transmission, when a good car does eventually come along, would I be wise to take it regardless of whether it's manual or auto?

I'll throw that question open to everyone.

You will get a mint auto or a very nice manual for that money.

With regards to transmission, i was hell bent on getting a manual. I didn't even consider an auto but i found a mint one and thought i'd give it a try and i was blown away. It's really not your average box, the kick down is terrific. It was such a pleasurable drive that i bought it and havent looked back. I would suggest driving a manual and auto (if you can) and seeing what you prefer as it's a bit of a marmite thing i think.

Guest R McGeddon
You will get a mint auto or a very nice manual for that money.

With regards to transmission, i was hell bent on getting a manual. I didn't even consider an auto but i found a mint one and thought i'd give it a try and i was blown away. It's really not your average box, the kick down is terrific. It was such a pleasurable drive that i bought it and havent looked back. I would suggest driving a manual and auto (if you can) and seeing what you prefer as it's a bit of a marmite thing i think.

I used to have a Pontiac Trans Am that was an auto and it was fine. You could also go up and down through the gears like a manual, is that possible with the Supra?

I used to have a Pontiac Trans Am that was an auto and it was fine. You could also go up and down through the gears like a manual, is that possible with the Supra?

Certainly is. There is a detailed thread in the technical section that explains it very well. I'll try and find it...