The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anyone use castrol oil for there TT?

edge

Im not sure about this "oil thing"

I know a specialuist Jap/supra wrx etc garage near me and they use Vauxhalls own 10-40 semi for ALL their oil changes. The owner has a Supra TT and he uses it. He told me that there is much "oil snobbery" and as long as you change the oil frequently a semi is good enough.

I also know of a large multi national type maint garage that will change your oil and you can take you own, they just charge the labour. What the dont tell you is they take your Mobile 1 etc and actually use there own cheap semi and keep the expensive stuff.....

Silkolene is well known for its quality (Ester based) try Oilman on here for a good deal.

But surely castrol must do a "good enough" oil as there a massive company. Just a pita to order the oils etc at quite a high price when i will be changing it every 3000 miles.

Is the 10/60 grade good to use?

I used to use Mobil 1, always smoked on start up due to tired stem seals. Switched to Silkolene pro S and cured it for a year or so (replaced now)

I change oil every 4000 miles and following my last engine teardown for inspection, virtualy zero bore wear.

10-50 full syth

check out the oil FAQ in the faq section

Was checking out the catrsol edge stuff down at halfords, its fully synth, and available in 10w50. Its quite high price stuff though, to get 5L would cost knocking £60 from halfords!!

(£45 for 4L, then £12 for 1L)

TBH magnatec is fine unless you have tuned your engine. I don't believe you have to use special oils (which really are designed for race cars) on standard engines. In my supe it says (somethin in japenese) followed by 10w-40.

If you have modified your engine more bigger power then i think fully synth becomes necessary.