The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Calling anyone with a JIC imported Supra

Ark

Chaps, I need to pick the brains of anyone with a car imported by Tim Miller of the old Japanese Import Centre, East Grinstead. I'm trying to figure out all the bits and bobs they did to convert and de-limit the cars they imported.

I've found a TRL VFCC connected to the ECU, and a speedo convertor behind the speedo, but I can't find a speedo delimiter anywhere. I know the car is de-limited, because it'll happily go to 140+ on track (main straight at Combe ;))

Does anyone know where JIC normally fitted their de-limiters?

Thanks

Hi Chris, mines ex-JIC. According to them all the bits and bobs were fitted by Motormall...I had a number for them but cant find it at the mo.

On my car theres a small black box just resting on the inside of the drivers console, below the steering wheel (the lower part of the console forms a sort of shelf there ....I can grab it by putting my hand in from underneath. Dont know what a delimiter looks like, but this thing looks aftermarket.

my mind may be blurry on this, but doesnt converting the car to mph simply raise the speed limiter to 180mph (instead of 180kph) and so you dont actually need a speed limit remover?

JB

A strong argument, very logical.

I don't know - I've never had the space/balls to go faster than 140!

its been so long since I bothered looking at limiters etc (I own a UK spec, just remove the trac fuse and the limiter goes...) but Im pretty sure thats how they were done in the early days. JIC had more attention to detail and may well have had a different solution.

JB

my mind may be blurry on this, but doesnt converting the car to mph simply raise the speed limiter to 180mph (instead of 180kph) and so you dont actually need a speed limit remover?

JB

Not if it's done properly. You should only change the speed input to the odo and speedo to mph, not the ECU.

The ECU relies on the 1:1 normal signal for calculating shift changes on autos and other things too I imagine.

The delimeter will cap the signal to the ECU making it thinking it's doing 114mph (or whatever the figure is) when you are in fact going faster. This is the reason that the auto vvti tips start trying to drop down gears etc as they don't know they're really doing higher speeds. :(

Not sure why this doesn't affect the non tips though?

Thanks Ewen. Any idea what kind of size your "small black box" is? (oo-errr missus!)

Well I've found the website of a company that might know the answer:

http://importsolutions.co.uk/default.asp

I've emailed them for information.

I may have a red-herring here...its the size of a packet of twenty...it has Denso on it, but what it is, I have no idea.

IMGA1553.JPG

Not if it's done properly. You should only change the speed input to the odo and speedo to mph, not the ECU.

The ECU relies on the 1:1 normal signal for calculating shift changes on autos and other things too I imagine.

The delimeter will cap the signal to the ECU making it thinking it's doing 114mph (or whatever the figure is) when you are in fact going faster. This is the reason that the auto vvti tips start trying to drop down gears etc as they don't know they're really doing higher speeds. :(

Not sure why this doesn't affect the non tips though?

Mine's non-tip, non-vvti.

The unit does have 5 wires:

power + & -

speed sensor input & output

ECU

Since the ECU wire from the Toyota plug has been cut, leaving the ECU connection from the converter connected, I think that a clamped peak speed signal is all that's getting to the ECU, fooling it into thinking it isn't ever going faster than 87mph.

I may have a red-herring here...its the size of a packet of twenty...it has Denso on it, but what it is, I have no idea.

I think it is a red herring, and I think I have one of those units mounted underneath the stereo cage. No idea what it is though.