The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New twist on TT MPG threads

Henk

OK I'm ready to get laughed at here but....

I left home Saturday morning (Guildford) and drove to Milton Keynes (TurboFit) I had reset the trip last time I filled up and re-filled the tank at the BP Services 1 junction or so before the TurboFit exit.

I was a little surprised that I had done 267 miles (Some local A roads, but mostly Motorway M25 & M1) on the trip and yet the guage had not moved that far.

Simple maths told me I made 32mpg. (My previous few calculations since picking up the car came out as 28)

Now I know the MPG conversation has been done to death but not so far (I know) from the point of view of what I think is awesome MPG.

It's a TT Auto and I mostly drive with O/D turned on (unless preparing to overtake / playing).

Given the general consensus of opinion that 18-22 is good, I wonder if you lot just drive around with the loud pedal permanently planted or.... I drive very economically :)

It seems about right if you drive very, very conservatively. I've managed just a little over 30mpg on a long M and A road run while BPU. That was with almost zero boost though :Pling:

Most of the time it was WOT, and I got between 16-18mpg. That’s still pretty good IMO for the performance, especially compared to the competition.,

Since going single its 8mpg, but it ain't right yet!

I once only, managed 40 miles on a gallon

Pulled into late night services with car spluttering (damn A1 services so far apart!), to my horror could not find my debit card, so had to pay in cash, double horror, i only had £4.90 or something, so i put in about 4.5 litres (just under a gallon) satnav said 40.6 miles home, i sat at 55mph with the car out of boost and i freewheeled down hills and i followed large lorries, and i made it.....just!

I went to the petrol station in my spare car for a gallon of Tesco 99 ron the next day though!!!

Didnt want to risk driving down to the petrol station as it must have been on bloody fumes!

This might be really dumb, but could you rig up some kind of switch so you could turn off one of the turbos while crusing on the motorway so it reduces the boost and raises mpg?

You couldn't do that, the system is designed to work with both turbo's after 4k rpm. I you only used one the first turbo will overspeed and likely fail before long.

An option is the TTC conversion which, provided you keep rpm below 3.8k will mean no turbo spool, though it will still fuel for it. Not sure if its better on fuel or not :search:

Hmmm what about turning them both off? would the engine have enough guts to maintain a decent crusing speed without them? and switch back on fast when needed?

Would be good to get decent mpg when just motorway cruising, I do tons of miles and when I drive the supe its costing me a fortune, but I just love driving it so lol

My Diesel astra hasnt moved for months, and the reason I got it is to do the motorway miles lol

Hmmm what about turning them both off? would the engine have enough guts to maintain a decent crusing speed without them? and switch back on fast when needed?

Would be good to get decent mpg when just motorway cruising, I do tons of miles and when I drive the supe its costing me a fortune, but I just love driving it so lol

My Diesel astra hasnt moved for months, and the reason I got it is to do the motorway miles lol

You can't turn them off, it'll just overfuel and damage your engine.

If you need an economic commuter you should simply buy another car (Diesel Vectra/mondeo can be picked up for nothing these days)

When I cruise at 3k which is about 80 in my car my turbos are off boost well thats what my boost gauges indicate give it a go..the car is just ticking over :)

You can't turn them off, it'll just overfuel and damage your engine.

If you need an economic commuter you should simply buy another car (Diesel Vectra/mondeo can be picked up for nothing these days)

Hes got an Astra deisel according to his post and sig! ;)

This might be really dumb, but could you rig up some kind of switch so you could turn off one of the turbos while crusing on the motorway so it reduces the boost and raises mpg?

The throttle will do this, 80mph off boost cruising. You can go for 0 to 100mph without seeing + numbers on a boost gauge. I did it once, but it was very boring. Not much point in having the car if you don't use its potential. Best mpg I got was shortly after I got the car I got 23 mpg. Now I am lucky to see 18. I blame an old sports injury, I can't hold my right foot at anything less than 120 degrees to my leg.The pain decreases the further down the throttle goes.;)

An option is the TTC conversion which, provided you keep rpm below 3.8k will mean no turbo spool, though it will still fuel for it. Not sure if its better on fuel or not :search:

I think Doug has the TTC set-up and I'm sure he has mentioned better economy when cruising.

Just don't boot it;) the turbos are not on line when cruising =-only when you give it a bit then it starts to spool

• 1 month later...