The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Dials

swandip

Some say you don't have to remove the needles , but I know for sure that I had to on my facelift car.

You shouldn't have to remove the stops, the new dials should go over them.

Make a note of the fuel level and the revs at tickover and the water temp when normal.

Then pull them off, the speedo one is more difficult to replace in the correct position. You'll have to do it whilst driving and use a reference to get it right (another car , Tom Tom etc).

been a while when i done mine...I have done a few before, Other ppl might have a better way of doing the job but i have never had any probs with the way i do it...This is for a PRE-FACElift car

Before you start, Take note of where the temp needle is when driving and the car is hot and where the rpm needle sit at idol.Just before you start stripping everything down also check how much fuel you have in the car

1) Pull the dash off so you can access the instrument pack, top part is held in with 5 screws and has a few plug connecters each side for mlg etc, The instrument pack is held in with 4 screws (i think)

2) Unplug the loom behind the pod...again i think there are 3 plug connectors so the instrument pack is in your hand, go indoors

and sit at the table so you got some room to work...

3) The clear plastic what you see through and black surround just clips of..just look at the back of the instrument pack for the clips.....be carfull dnt break them!!!!

4) Now, when you take the needles off its important to put them back in the same place so they read right when its in your car so...

4) Removing the needles.........What i do is unhook the speedo and rev counter needle off the rest pin. You will notice that they will almost point to the bottom...With the fuel and temp, i reset them so the fuel is on empty and temp is at the bottom. Then take a pic with your phone of each dial so you know where the needles are. Then with two flat head screwdrivers gently prise the needls off...

5) Stick your new dails on...I stuck mine over my existing dails as my new ones did not have the rest pins for the speedo and rev counter....start sticking your dials on making sure everthing matches up to the Org dails. When your happy you can slowly start putting the needles on trying your best to put them exactly in the same place looking at your pics. With the speedo and rev counter place them on where they settled then once push on lightly, hook them back over the rest.

P.S DNT push them on to hard incase you have to adjust them again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6) Once happy, place the black surround back on but not the clear plastic and go back to the car.

7) If these dails light up you will have to cut some gaps in the black plastic surround for the wires to go through...just use a hack saw, saw down two 5m with a 5min gap and use some pliers to snap the plastic off

8) Plug your connectors back into the instrument pack and just let it rest on the dash.. Turn the ignition on..

Make sure your fuel goes back to where it was first...

When happy turn the engine on and let the car warm up

Now you can check the temp and rpm neelde...

P,s you can adjust the rpm needle while the engine is runing.

Now the hard part..

What you need to do now is ask some1 to drive 30mph in front so you r speedo is correct, i ask the person in front to put there hazzerds on when there hitting 30 mph..If mine was out i try my best to pull the needle of and sticking it on 30mph while driving...Very hard especially if you have hard susp..but saves you stop and starting to check everytime..

Whan happy put back together...

I connect my dails to the cig lighter, or can use the dimmer switch..ure choice....

Hope this helps..like i said some1 might have a better way of doing it...alot of helpfull ppl on here so take there advise...