The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chargecoolers?

JamieP

Yea the way my ic pipework goes with the greddy inlet i have a fair amount of space that i rekon i could fit one of the barrel types, also i have no air con rad so the rad for the charge cooler would fit there i think.

Something along the lines of this, not sure if the endtanks are big enough though as i run 4" ic pipes.

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Barrel_Charge_Cooler_KIT_-PWR_5220.asp

Why would you want a CC in addition to a IC. In series it'll just create a massive pressure drop, in parallel there'll be issues with air flows. I thought CC were mainly used on mid-engine cars where there was no way of mounting an IC which receives decent air flow over it.

If using a charge cooler the laminova cores work best ,use them in parallel to reduce pressure drops

it is possible although expensive to have the laminova cores in an intake manifold made specially for the supra they would work very well but would require a couple of extra radiators and a quality pump -johnsons from sweden do great pumps-where the radiators would fit ? space could be tight- but the results would be very good

the end tanks of the fmic could also be used like the pace twin charge cooler again £££££

Not sure on the pressure drop side of things, i ran one on a RS500 along with a huge IC and had no probs a few years back, i cant remember the figures but the intake temps dropped nicely.

Were you suffering high intake temps before the installation of the CC???

Are there any OEM system that use both a CC & IC either in parallel or in series??

I always thought parallel was by far the more complicated as you've not only got the problem of merging the two air flows, but ensuring the one does not try and go the wrong way at the merge point (i.e. back up towards the other core - this sort of thing requires a full understanding of fluid dynamics, not just a case of 'oh we'll split the air flow here with and use a CC for one path and an IC for the other then merge the flows here'. In series you've got 2 cores cooling the charge temp, I thought FMIC's were supposed to be superb at cooling temps, unless after installing the best FMIC and you're still suffering from high inlet temps, I can't understand the need for 2 cooling radiators (whether series or parallel),

Depending on what you want from the car, look at the best drag cars or the best track cars and see if any of them use a twin IC/CC setup then maybe it's worth investigating, if not (which I suspect is the case) then I'd say let somebody else worry if it will work.

You may well be right, i dont know what my intake temps are now but as i see it the lower the better, If i was to try this out id do it inline.. as i say i dont know if the pressure drop side of things would happen or be an issue.

It may well be a pointless idea as if was worth doing im sure some of the big companys would have made a supra kit by now:)

You may well be right, i dont know what my intake temps are now but as i see it the lower the better, If i was to try this out id do it inline.. as i say i dont know if the pressure drop side of things would happen or be an issue.

It may well be a pointless idea as if was worth doing im sure some of the big companys would have made a supra kit by now:)

I'm no expert Jamie :D, but I do come from the MR2 background, where intake temps were essential, I did consider this idea but the brickwalls which I detailed in my previous post were what I was told by people who knew a lot more about air flow than me.

I suppose it's a bit like posing the question 'I wonder if 3 turbos would be better than 2', sounds great to the layman, but when you start investigating the technicallities of the idea I think you'd comes across some problems,

My theory is 'If the big car producers/aftermarket part markers haven't produced it then it prolly won't work' :D, but I am prepared to be proved wrong by a privateer with £xxxx million to prove/iron out any bugs in the system :D :D

There is lots of kits on the market for all sorts of cars that run ic's aswell it just seems that nobody has made a kit for the supra, is this because its a fitment issue (lack of space) or maybe because its just not needed.

Ahh feck it, ill just use my Nos to cool the intake temps:D

There is lots of kits on the market for all sorts of cars that run ic's aswell it just seems that nobody has made a kit for the supra, is this because its a fitment issue (lack of space) or maybe because its just not needed.

Ahh feck it, ill just use my Nos to cool the intake temps:D

Are intake temps the weak link in your chain???? if so spend money there improving that area of your cars performance, if intake temps are fine, spend money elsewhere (maybe employ somebody to polish your fine Supra everyday :D :D :D)

Are intake temps the weak link in your chain???? if so spend money there improving that area of your cars performance, if intake temps are fine, spend money elsewhere (maybe employ somebody to polish your fine Supra everyday :D :D :D)

My car dont have a weak link:p

With summer coming quick i thought this may be worth looking into thats all.