The mkiv Supra Owners Club

If I was selling....

Jake

I'm wondering if I would get more £ for my car by converting it back to stock and selling the car separately to all the aftermarket bits. (Motec ECU, FMIC, 800cc PE injectors, RLTC, Single turbo kit, WI, etc etc)

I'm thinking a stock-ish y2k VVTi 6sp manual is probably worth, what, £15k-16k? And maybe easier to find a buyer for than a big-singled Supe as well.

Good idea? Stupid idea?

Any thoughts?

Time for a spreadsheet check i think. :D

It is an interesting point though i imagine it depends on how much you value your own time really, assuming you would be converting it back yourself.

I don't know about the value of VVTi cars now, i thought they were in the 13-15k range.

It is an interesting point though i imagine it depends on how much you value your own time really, assuming you would be converting it back yourself.

Yeah, I'd do it myself. Time isn't an issue because I don't work.

I don't know about the value of VVTi cars now, i thought they were in the 13-15k range.
For a manual? :(

Sounds like a lot of hassle, and depending on availability/cost of standard parts, plus any labour costs may not be worth it?

I would think a club member would appreciate its worth and buy it as is?

What would you want to sell it for? (PM me if you like)

What would you want to sell it for? (PM me if you like)
Dunno really. I think maybe I'm getting a bit old for the souped up boy-racer type cars.

Also, it's a bit embarrassing turning up in such a flashy motor when I go to sign-on :D

Edit,

sorry I misunderstood - I thought you were saying "why?" rather than "how much?"

I think maybe I'm getting a bit old for the flashy souped up boy-racer car.
I hope that is never the case!

Also, it's a bit embarrassing turning up in such a flashy motor when I go to sign-on :D

I can see your point of view there. :)

Only advice I'd give is do whatever makes YOU HAPPY.

Jake, if I had £20k (which I currently don't) I'd rather buy your car as it is, than spend £15k on a stocker only to spend thousands modding it.

BUT the biggest problem facing heavily modded Supras is that it's still a Toyota- £20k buys a lot of stuff, £25k buys a hell of a lot of stuff- that's Porsche 996 money, Maserati 3200 money etc... people tend to buy Supras because they specifically want a Supra, not because they thought it was a better car than a M3, TVR, Monaro or Skyline.

On the other side of the coin people have become blase about bhp- (I mentioned this last week) people for some reason want 800bhp, 900bhp, 1000bhp- for some weird ass reason 500bhp in a Supra is seen as impotent- God knows why because a 500bhp Supra is ferociously fast- no other car except the Skyline has this 'power' problem- say you've got a 500bhp 911 to sell and people will be all over you.

Funny how if this car was coming from Japan for say £20k, everyone will be jumping for it and when it arrives there could be little problems or major problems and defo need a remap.

When someone is selling same car in UK with perfect record etc, they thing twice about it.

Just my opinion. :)

I think if you got it running right it'd fetch good money, as it'll be a complete package, looks + performance etc.

However, I see the logic in reverting it to stock, but surely only those who dont know of the cars history will pay good money for a 'stock' car which has been heavily modified in the past.

Having said that, if you sold it at a lower rate you'd probably recoup a lot of the cash selling your extras off as suggested.

I'm sad you're considering this :(

When someone is selling same car in UK with perfect record etc, they thing twice about it.

Confused...Who said it's 20k or even that it wasn't worth that money? [edit] ah. Gaz did..but he's just guessing hypothetical figures.

Just that it would be possibly worth more sold as parts.

I think the problem (and waits to get shot down in flames) is people dont really want to spend say 20k on a 7 or 8+ year old toyota?? same thing is happening on the skyline clubs and the same thing already happened on the 300zx clubs. Now while its nice that members try to keep up the prices of the cars the reality is that cars devalue and the supra/skyline etc also does the same. There seems to be a ceiling of around 10k for a 6 speed TT on here but how long can that last for bearing in mind most of them are now 13 or 14 years old and that kind of money is nowadays brand new car money.

Dont get me wrong i'm silly enough to spend silly money on 10 year old + nissans and toyotas but i think there are less and less people who are willing to do so.

In answer to the question here, of course your going to make more money that way, you will find over the next few years more and more supras and skylines will be broken up as they are worth more in parts than a complete car!! sad but true although its a pain in the arse to do it LOL

Mike

There are different markets too remember, people who want a fast modified car and people want a nice standard car and who appreciate the car for what it is/was, like a collector or enthusiast.

exactly and theres also "ive got to have it" buyers for anything special. Sad thing is you can buy a decent spec decent low mileage manual tt 300zx for under £5k!! i just imported a manual slicktop tt which is the rarest around with 600 bhp for £8k for a friend!! i know of a 7-800 bhp single supra which may be coming over here and thats only just over £10k!! same with skylines but what your finding now is that decent R32's are getting more expensive than R33's so at some point when the stock is exhausted then the prices will increase :)

Mike

To add to complications, the VVTi's can be imported from next year, they'll be a lot of grade 4.5 98's coming over and they sure as hell won't make the value of current cars go up- before we had the excuse that any pre 97 still in Japan is a chicken shed on wheels.

Sorry for doing the prophet of doom bit, Geneb will be back shortly....

I have a similar problem with my Leon at the moment.

I want to get ready to sell it, to make way for the Supra. However, it is quite heavily modified.

I've been told, and decided that it is better to strip it down (as much as possible) and sell all the mods, converting back to stock.

That said - things like suspension just are not worth it - it'd cost £100 or so to remove and refit the old set, + alignment etc and then selling the aftermarket suspension would only just cover that + a bit extra - so hardly worth doing.

If you can remove the mods and convert back to stock, without making it obvious that it has been modified, DO IT. But if it'd be obvious to a buyer that mods have been removed, don't.

Dunno really. I think maybe I'm getting a bit old for the souped up boy-racer type cars.

pmsl i'v been signing on in the rex for the past 6 months...ya do get some funny looks mind:D

To add to complications, the VVTi's can be imported from next year, they'll be a lot of grade 4.5 98's coming over and they sure as hell won't make the value of current cars go up

They'll still go for high premiums IF they're decent grade. There may of course be the odd dog that helps devalue things.

When I last looked at the auctions in Japan they were still fetching very high prices, with people wanting to bring them over here that will increase demand, and more likely prices.

We'll have to wait until August and see.