The mkiv Supra Owners Club

car trouble

Guest mk47

the past few days while driving my cars feeling very different, quite hard to explain.. when i kick down (no matter what speed) the car seems to lose traction completely, as if theres something pushing the car side to side.. the wheels are not slipping but the car sort of swerves left and right pretty dangerously!

im sure this is not down to putting my wheels on because the first week while the wheels were on there was no problems, this has just started monday/tuesday.

yesterday i had the feeling one of the wheels would drop off thats how bad it was, checked all the wheel nuts and they are all very tight. nobody is in today so i cant get any opinions, any ideas what it could be? im having my tracking checked tomorrow.

Maz, stupid pointer but I read a thread the other day between two experienced members iirc and it was a similar issue.

Rear tyre pressures were their case of fault - you checked yours recently? I think one of theirs was low on ond side, not by much either and the rear was swerving all over the place.

Failing that, possible worn suspension bushes? Although seems directly new wheel related if it was fine before!

Maz, stupid pointer but I read a thread the other day between two experienced members iirc and it was a similar issue.

Rear tyre pressures were their case of fault - you checked yours recently? I think one of theirs was low on ond side, not by much either and the rear was swerving all over the place.

Failing that, possible worn suspension bushes? Although seems directly new wheel related if it was fine before!

thing is even after putting new wheels on it was fine for a while - hit over 170 leptons for the first time with the new wheels/tyres and was straight as a line. i need to check out the bushes but its wierd how all of a sudden the problem started. ill check out the tyre pressures just now brb.

the rear tyres are 265-35-18 and pressures seem to be the same on both sides (30psi). im baffled now as car was running like brand new until earlier this week! its just on kickdown though, and yesterday while taking a corner the car felt very unstable.

Have you had 4 wheel allignment done since changing the wheels?? If not then id stake my mortgage on this being the problem. Because you have changed the size of wheels you wont be getting proper traction unless you have had them realligned.

I havent had that done yet, planning to find somwhere to do that for me tomorrow - only thing why it had me worried is because for the first week while the new wheels were on there was no problems, it just sort of started out of the blue.

im hoping its just the alignment and nothing major!

Maz put your old wheels on and take the car for a spin :) me and Ash will have a look tomorrow for you if you want?

all good will be meeting you lot tomorrow evening i think? thing whats got me is that the car was fine for the first week while the new wheels were on.. this is just recent.

but yeah will let you lot have a butchers (not that you know much anyway you big girl) :p

I havent had that done yet, planning to find somwhere to do that for me tomorrow - only thing why it had me worried is because for the first week while the new wheels were on there was no problems, it just sort of started out of the blue.

im hoping its just the alignment and nothing major!

Id still put my money on the allignment being the prob. It may be that a few weeks of driving with poor allignement has reduced the tread on the tyre, that may be why it was fine for a few weeks yet not now. Long shot i know but its possible .Get the allignment done ASAP.

Id still put my money on the allignment being the prob. It may be that a few weeks of driving with poor allignement has reduced the tread on the tyre, that may be why it was fine for a few weeks yet not now. Long shot i know but its possible .Get the allignment done ASAP.

will do mate theres not anyone local to me back in leicester that does 4 wheel alignment so just looking for the nearest place to take it now :) hopefully that will cure it.

Check your shocks aren't leaking and if they are adjustable, that they are set the same left and right. I experienced very unstable cornering and acceleration with a bad rear left shock, and changing lanes on a dual carriageway felt like I was the jam car in TCR.

I then resurrected the problem after a shock rebuild by setting one 3 clicks left and one 3 clicks right :innocent:

-Ian

Check your shocks aren't leaking and if they are adjustable, that they are set the same left and right. I experienced very unstable cornering and acceleration with a bad rear left shock, and changing lanes on a dual carriageway felt like I was the jam car in TCR.

I then resurrected the problem after a shock rebuild by setting one 3 clicks left and one 3 clicks right :innocent:

-Ian

I will get my shocks checked out. they are not adjustables just the stock springs with yellow bilsteins. have the car booked for 4 wheel alignment tomorrow.. its wierd because an hour ago i went out and it was fine again!

had the car checked out today, it seems the passenger rear bushes are totally f*cked. if you hold the wheel and pull it it actually rocks side to side :taped: bloody dangerous! im now on the hunt for new rear bushes, hear this is going to be quite expensive! the rest seemed fine but its now apparent what the problem has been.

so new set of bushes and traction adjuster + tracking should hopefully solve this! will be getting this sorted first of course before changing springs as planned.

If the wheel moves when you pull on it, would that not be the bearing rather than the bushes?

the tracking bolt was also seized on the left hand rear, and the rubber bushes i can see are cracking away :( the guy who looked at it said i need to replace the rear bushes and traction rod.. i didnt think about the bearing.. think i need to get a 2nd opinion on this.