The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Eagle f1 on the track ?

Mcgoo

Has anyone had any experience with the above tyres on the track?

With the marham track day coming up I was just wondering if my nice new tyres are gonna get completely chewed up or not.

I have been on trackdays previously in a different car (300zx) and with different rubber.

If they are a bit soft is it worth the expence (£80) of getting some part worns put on for the day?

How many miles have you done on them? - if they're too new they'll be a little slippy to start with, as they need a few miles to wear them in.

I've used pretty new proxies on the track before and the tread does rough up a bit, but soon flattens out again on the road.

Part worn may be better as they will have less tread depth so will generate a little less heat / movement which will give a bit better grip. But it depends what the part worn's are? As if they are a harder compound they may be worse on grip but save the new F1's!

Difficult choice really - which is why I'll be running on R888's at Marham on Sunday.

I've done a few hundred miles on them so plenty worn in. Just didn't really wanna be replacing them again any time soon.

The part worns I have are eagle f1 rears (down to the wear markers) and continental sport fronts(about 2mm tread)

I just wondered if it was worth changing them financialy- if you know what I mean.

I've found F1's to be great for track driving. They even held up well to an airfield driver training day that I did where we were sideways a lot more often than not!

I will report back on my trip to the Nurburgring. I'm only taking 1 set of F1s with me so should be interesting. :eyebrows:

They are a VERY soft tyre, that's why they are so good in the wet. If you drive it like you should you'll tear them up. As a guide i would expect to kill them completely in a single afternoon at somewhere like Donington. i don't know this track you are going to, but if it's an old airfiled they are more abrasive than a proper circuit... It's always cheapest to buy proper circuit tyres, in the long run.

They are a VERY soft tyre, that's why they are so good in the wet. If you drive it like you should you'll tear them up. As a guide i would expect to kill them completely in a single afternoon at somewhere like Donington. i don't know this track you are going to, but if it's an old airfiled they are more abrasive than a proper circuit... It's always cheapest to buy proper circuit tyres, in the long run.

...thought you'd sniff this one out Chris :)

Sam... keep in mind that the Marham day is going to be busy and you probably won't get a whole day out on track, so wear will be reduced.

The partworn rears may be a good idea - although you'll probably be illegal by the end of the day when you drive home ( unless they are on seperate wheels..) - or you could creep home ;-)

The rears will suffer more though .... as the fronts will get loaded up on the outer edges if you have a road camber setup.

I'd be happy to take you out in mine with the R888's so you can see how they compare for the money ;)

Thanks for the input guys.:)

...thought you'd sniff this one out Chris :)

Sam... keep in mind that the Marham day is going to be busy and you probably won't get a whole day out on track, so wear will be reduced.

The partworn rears may be a good idea - although you'll probably be illegal by the end of the day when you drive home ( unless they are on seperate wheels..) - or you could creep home ;-)

The rears will suffer more though .... as the fronts will get loaded up on the outer edges if you have a road camber setup.

I'd be happy to take you out in mine with the R888's so you can see how they compare for the money ;)

Thanks steve, I will take you up on that! It will be nice to experience a single on the track also.:)