The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twice at 13.5MPG...!

CarlT67

I have owned my supra now for about a month, so I have therefore been driving with a little heavier foot than normal.:D Taking this into consideration on the last two Tanks full, I have been averaging 13.5 and 13.8mpg. I’m not too worried about putting fuel into a car (hence buying a supra and not a Yaris) but thought this was extremely low for a N/A. Bearing in mind my friend who also drives an N/A gets far better mpg and doesn't exactly drive economically..!

I have done some searching and found that old/dirty O2 sensors can be the issue but I was wanting to verify (cleaning or replacement), and that most N/As average at 18-20mpg.

Additionally the car was in storage with some work being done on it for about a month before i bought it and its first run was the test drive. The car shows no evidence of power loss or running bad.

Work that was done included removal and reinstallation of the induction, throttle body, HT leads, Rocker covers all for cleaning... So could this also have anything to do with the fuel consumption or cause the car an issue...?

Thanks Carl

ive had my supe a fortnight now and am also shocked at the poor economy... got 240km to the last tank... someone also said to me to try the o2 sensors.

240km? If that was miles, it would seem about right for a tankful to me. I've had just over 300 miles from a tank with mostly motorway miles, but about 230 miles as a lowest so far in my 4 months of ownership.

ive had my supe a fortnight now and am also shocked at the poor economy... got 240km to the last tank... someone also said to me to try the o2 sensors.

EEk :Pling: I get 320 miles, and though tthat was poor :blink:

I just bought a CW replacement O2 sensor but haven't fitted it yet, as the wideband may take its place ;)

Give Nic (import pimp) a shout. ARe you running a standard fuel pressure regulator?

Yes pretty sure i am, only engine mods done to my knowledge are apexi induction, and exhaust.

Anyway of finding out?

My last tank 315KM

Before about 290KM

Stick them in lemon juice overnight - cleans them up like new and much cheaper than a new set (only really a temporary measure but....) :)

I did this before the MOT. Previous year's readings for emissions were poor (high HC and a bit of CO) even though I had cats in. After leaving them dipped in Jif lemon juice overnight the MOT result was almost zero HC and CO.

Give it a go!

I did this before the MOT. Previous year's readings for emissions were poor (high HC and a bit of CO) even though I had cats in. After leaving them dipped in Jif lemon juice overnight the MOT result was almost zero HC and CO.

Give it a go!

Will do defiantly, I will have to wait until tomorrow night to drown them, this would be a good temporary measure until I can source some new ones.

Fitting new O2 sensors may seem expensive (especially on an NA which needs 2), but they will pay for themselves in fuel savings very quickly.

They will also make your car feel smoother and should give you a bit of extra power, as you won't be running so rich.

Wow, that tubular manifold looks lovely, if i was an NA owner looking for a lovely manifold like that, should i just PM you for prices?

Funny you should ask that Sir, I'm organising a group buy of them this very moment. You could pm me yes, or alternatively you could could click this link.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=104891

:friends:

:angrymod: quick hide Rob before we get into trouble :hide: :hide:

Wow, that tubular manifold looks lovely, if i was an NA owner looking for a lovely manifold like that, should i just PM you for prices?

Funny you should ask that Sir, I'm organising a group buy of them this very moment. You could pm me yes, or alternatively you could could click this link.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=104891

:friends:

:angrymod: quick hide Rob before we get into trouble :hide: :hide:

:rlol: :D