The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dash trim kits - any good?

cheekymonkey

Anyone know if it's possible to get something like this installed and have it actually look any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-1993-1998-DASH-KIT-WOOD-ALU-CARBON_W0QQitemZ120107333266QQihZ002QQcategoryZ72213QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like the *idea* of that sort of thing, but imagine if it's anything less than perfect it would look completely naff.

Anyone got some in their Supe?

James

Was reading a post on here and one of the other members has just had theirs done in a lovely looking black gloss paint and high laquer finish. Looks the dogs.

I'd like to see one of these kits inperson as it seems an easier option than getting my dash sprayed but if the finish is gonna look crap then spraying it is.

I have a carbon fibre kit and am pretty impressed tbh with the finish.

It's difficult in places and there's a few tiny gaps in the overlay etc, but all in all it really modernises the dash and worth the money.

However, if I spent the same money (most likely considerably less) and had MORE time, then I'd definitely paint my dash instead.

Can't beat a clean, sheek look. :)

For the money, time and effort fitting this dash, you could get a spray shop to do the dash to a great finish.

I've seen a few pics of these kits fitted. They do look quite good, but any ill fitting sections and it will bug you every time you drive it.

The kit looks great and is a good and cheap way of improving the dash but mine came with a couple of left hand drive parts and was ill fitting in places, I got knight racer to fit it and he told me there was alot of cutting involved, of course if you have aftermarket switches and gauges it gets even harder ;)

Anyone know if it's possible to get something like this installed and have it actually look any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-1993-1998-DASH-KIT-WOOD-ALU-CARBON_W0QQitemZ120107333266QQihZ002QQcategoryZ72213QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like the *idea* of that sort of thing, but imagine if it's anything less than perfect it would look completely naff.

Anyone got some in their Supe?

James

hey james, i did my dash this week with the same kit, but my kit was brushed ally. i thought the kit was great for the money and really did make my dash look better....i know this kind of thing is not everyones cup of tea, but i was well impressed overall.

if u are not a very hands on kinda guy, i would prob recommend u dont do it yourself!

check out the pics of my dash.......i have not fitted all the kit yet, but you get the idea mate.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=106446

cheers.

i just baught a cabon one for my car as i hat one on before but didnt like it as it wasnt quite alligned properly. that was a hard moulded thing though and the one i baught is soft and flexable. havent fitted it yet through. also i went ahead and baught a non facelift kit and it doesnt fit properly in a few places like arround the gear shift.

GERR!

Also im a bit worried that some of the bits will look a bit stuck on like the bits arround the vents and door handles.

If you want a pre facelift one in carbon let me know i think ill get mine sprayed gunmetal when i take the car in to get my kit fitted.

Guest StevenSheen

I have the brushed alloy one in my car and overall its quite a nice improvement...although in hindsight seeing how easy the dash clips out I would have just refinnished and sprayed it instead...

i just spayed mine..few cans of paint from good old Halfords[/qimg]

Got to agree, a spray job (even a Halfords job) looks better than the stick on stuff. I repainted mine with £20 worth of Haflords paint 2 years ago and it still looks 100% today (far better than the stock rubish!).

I've seen numerous versions on the stick on kits but it alwasy looks rather tacky IMO. No offence meant to anyone who has one :imsorry:

Anyone know who does the alacantara dash?

Gibson & Boyne have done these a few times before. Again, its not to my taste, but the work I've seen of theirs on the dash jobs has been absolutely superb. Supragal had some extensive work from them on an alcantara dash so would be a good person to speak to.

i just spayed mine..few cans of paint from good old Halfords

took some time but im very pleased with it

[qimg]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/mplavery/DSC00122.jpg[/qimg]

That looks a great job, which type of spray paint did you use and was it a matt or gloss finish?

Also did you have to primer the surface first?

Is there a dash removal guide anywhere?

Sorry for the hijack....i need to update my interior too!

i just spayed mine..few cans of paint from good old Halfords

took some time but im very pleased with it

Same here, its needs another coat and to be laquered but I will need to book more time off work to do it!!

Oh and the Supe needs a clean on the inside as well :D

DSC02454(1).JPG