The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uprated flywheel

Daston

Hey dudes (and dudedets)

How can you tell if you have an uprated fly wheel? Its just that I get a bit of gearbox whine and wondering if that was due to the flywheel and also it sometimes sounds like I have a bag of bolts in the engine bay when pulling away.

You can tell by taking off the G/box and looking at it. The whine will have nothing to do with the flywheel anyway so its not that. Generally, lightweight flywheels cause the engine to feel 'lumpy' at idle due to lower rotational mass, heavier flywheels make the engine spin smoothly.

engine has been looked at and is sweet however someone on here mentioned that the clutch might be in need of a rebuild would that make a clunky metalic noise when pulling away? It doesn't do it all the time tho and that is what is throwing me. It might just be that I am not used to the clutch and that I am not letting it out propoly so it is grinding slightly.

Does the 6 speed box have a slight wine from cold?

Hey dudes (and dudedets)

How can you tell if you have an uprated fly wheel? Its just that I get a bit of gearbox whine and wondering if that was due to the flywheel and also it sometimes sounds like I have a bag of bolts in the engine bay when pulling away.

If it sounds like a bag of bolts then that sounds about right. Pulling away and driving along under 2k revs usually causes a lot of reverberation and does indeed sound quite bad. Thats what mine sounds like anyway

Mark

I get that kind of noise at pull away and have asked on here before, seems a common thing and is fairly normal for the 6 speed getrag box, however, it has been suggested that with mine it may be the thrust bearing that is worn. Sound exactly like your problem to me.

I know the clutch is deffently uprated as there is no biting point at all if the clutch is half it it rattles and makes all kinds of noises. Just wondering if I my flywheel might have been aftermarket due the the clunkyness of the box and whine or whether that was normal for the Getrag

ps so bored in work