The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ESVA, SVA, model report, what does it all mean!!!

tbourner

Can someone attempt to explain the current rulings on model reports and ESVA tests and stuff for imports please?

As this came up for sale there was question as to how it could be driven in the UK, it would need a model report and ESVA and stuff?

So a car less than 10 years old must have a model report for it? Which most cars do? But some (like MKII Aristos and late Supras) don't have this, and would need an ESVA which includes model reporting? And is expensive (crash test reports etc?)?

What about older than 10 years old? Are they OK?

Once it's done, passing the MOT will be the next question! Does the pre-facelift Supra and MKI Aristo not have a known emmision level and therefore will have to pass under NA specs?

but why would you want a 1000bhp S2000 ?

p.s. I don't have a clue about current SVA / ESVA rules.

I'm currently looking at 2000/2001 reg EVO6s that have been imported.... they all seem to be SVAd and garages are selling those by the dozen. Is it different for other cars?

It's been a while since I looked into all this so I may not be 100%.

SVA is for putting cards back on the road, rebuilds, kitcars etc. Basically a strict safety inspection.

Enhanced SVA is what imports need to go through, and requires a model report.

A model report is required for each variant of the car (ie, auto/manual,turbo, non turbo). These reports exist for many cars and can be bought for a price (few hundred quid).

Producing a model report costs over £10k plus the destruction of a car of that type - hence you'd want to shift a lot of a type of car to make the money back (and why these reports aren't free!).

If the car deviates from the spec in the model report (mods) then you'll need to convert it back to standard. Roll cages etc are a big no no.

Any car older than 10 years doesn't require an ESVA test. :)

One reason why there's so many '94,'95 Supras imported devaluing the market (and now '96 facelifts starting to come across)

Emission requirements are fairly strict - a major issue with importing R34s I believe?

So you could import something as standard and do what you want to it here (within reason), but can't import the modified version because the ESVA won't count?

I don't think there are any R34s in some US states because of that, didn't think it was that much of an issure here though?