The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Really Quiet Exhaust

Guest Geneb

Guest Geneb

Im thinking of going BPU but dont want the noisey exhaust as i like the nice sound of the stock system, is there a Really Quiet Exhaust?

Guest Geneb
I think you could de-cat the front, leave the second cat in place with the stock system and raise the boost. You would need a boost controller and you would have to watch the EGT's to be safe.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: Now im stuffed lol no idea what any of that mean't EGT? LOL just want something fitted that works that " I " cant play with or break:)

Sounds more complicated than it is. Exhaust Gas Temperature. Its a good way of telling if something is overheating or not running correct. The first cat is more restrictive so if you remove that you should safely be able to raise the boost abit with keeping the standard exhaust so will be very quiet.

Stock exhaust is very restrictive, even with a full decat you may not see any extra boost, as the back pressure on the turbos isn't reduced enough. Using a boost controller to overcome this backpressure can lead to high Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT) which you don't want.

All aftermarket ones will be louder than stock, although I think there is one which is a bit quieter than the others. Surely you want that nice exhaust sound??

(Damn too slow with the typing)

I think you could de-cat the front, leave the second cat in place with the stock system and raise the boost. You would need a boost controller and you would have to watch the EGT's to be safe.

No, bad idea. If you’re raising boost past 1.0 bar then both cats must go. Leaving the 2nd cat in place will not only raise EGT's but place an enormous increase in cat temperatures which will result in failure over any longer period. Both cats must go with BPU, end of :D

couldn't you just fully decat + RR with standard exhaust? that wouldn't be that noisy :)

Not with BPU, the stock cat back system is incredibly restrictive and will seriously increase back pressure. The cat back mid section is the main cause, so it best to replace the lot with an aftermarket system

In my experience the quietest ones are (in order):

- HKS Silent Hi Power

- XS Power

- HKS Super Dragger II

The new NUR RX is supposed to be very quiet too, but I've not heard it yet so cannot comment.

Guest Geneb
Stock exhaust is very restrictive, even with a full decat you may not see any extra boost, as the back pressure on the turbos isn't reduced enough. Using a boost controller to overcome this backpressure can lead to high Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT) which you don't want.

All aftermarket ones will be louder than stock, although I think there is one which is a bit quieter than the others. Surely you want that nice exhaust sound??

(Damn too slow with the typing)

nah i want the quiet life and no nagging wife

The HKS Carbon/Ti is very civilised. I can leave my car running on the driveway for 10 mins without the neighbours getting upset.

Much quieter than the HKS SuperDragger I had before.

Andy listened to mine last night and said it was too loud :) I didn't think it was that bad

Blitz Nur RX exhausts are designed for maximum performance and amazing appearance whilst maintaining an acceptable Jasma compliant exhaust note.

The Nur RX range looks very similar to the Nur Spec R but does not have a removable baffle. Being quieter they are more suitable for track days where noise limits are commonly imposed.

Nur Spec RX 2 piece exhaust system

Polished SUS304 stainless steel

80mm bore pipwork

114.3mm Tailpipe

Sound level 91DB

Guest Geneb
Blimey. I can't believe he's that fussy

...Sorry, just remembered who we're talking about ;)

LOL F**k you bet a GTV would be quieter LOL

so what you trying to say jake?:)

Guest Geneb
I'm just messing with you And. You have a bit of a reputation as a fussy git - dunno if you're like that really

:shrug:

Fook you think im fussy have you dealt with Ryan.G LOL

he's a No.1 real nice guy but everything has got to be perfect lol and i hope he reads this cus i want to nick his perfecty car.

nah i just a piss taking SOB lol:d

Guest Geneb
Do you run two supras then Geneb ?

nah just the TT sold the N/A

Mine is a hks superdragger 2 andy and mine aint loud at all and thats with the baffler out

Damn ryan how can you say that quiet i hear that going through woodstock, need a quiet one bud , you,ve met the wife and know how uptight she can be. needs to be quiet.

actually Ryan it was YOU who had all my neighbours out bitchin at me in your MR2