The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo rebuild/hybrids

Macer

I'm sure there's plenty of you out there who have had standard turbos rebuilt, or hybridised (if that's a real word!!)... Just wanted opinions on who you'd recommend to do the job.

Obviously price is important, but it's more important that the job is done right...

If I do go for hybrids, I can't go too crazy power wise as I don't want to have to spend extra on supporting mods (the car's just BPU at the mo)...

Also, with a rebuild, how noticeable will the lag be with switching to steel blades?

was wondering if you could get the hybrids built with a larger wastegate to avoid having to run a restrictor ring?

The stock Jspec wastegate valve orifice can be enlarged a little I think, but probably not enough to make much difference. I expect the solution would be to remove the valve and fit the larger one from the UK turbo, then enlarge the orifice to suit.... if there's enough metal in the casting.

The stock Jspec wastegate valve orifice can be enlarged a little I think, but probably not enough to make much difference. I expect the solution would be to remove the valve and fit the larger one from the UK turbo, then enlarge the orifice to suit.... if there's enough metal in the casting.

Do the uk tubbies not require the use of a restrictor ring?

I don't see it being that cost effective to go for hybrids any more. is that the case?

i.e. how much more would you need to spend in total if you went for a small single setup (if anything)?

I don't think it's the cost of the turbo and manifold that is the problem it's everything else you need to make it work like ECU, injectors, fuel rail, mapping etc

I don't think it's the cost of the turbo and manifold that is the problem it's everything else you need to make it work like ECU, injectors, fuel rail, mapping etc

hence i asked about the cost in total ;)

provided it's set up properly i don't think the bare minimum required for a safe small single setup will be that much more than for hybrids.

I was down this road last year.To go single properly,with no side effects,it woud cost around 10K.I put hybrids on built by AET and the car is flying at 1.4 bar.If you have the wherewithall go single.I have built a system that now could take something like a T62 or 63(plus a couple more bits);but it has been expensive(also i'm married.)Ian C and Kopite and others kept me right.Don't take shortcuts,get the proper parts for the job:you'll still have headaches,just not migraines.

£10k sounds a bit much to me nowadays mate.

I'm fairly sure it is possible to spend that much don't get me wrong, but at the same time i'm pretty sure that you can spend a fair bit less and still get an effective single setup that shouldn't cause you too many migraines.

provided it's set up correctly of course.

Your probably right.You do have to budget for better brakes and suspension though.Going extra rapid with poor brakes and creaky springs and dampers is no use.RLTC is no bad thing either.

totally agree with you there mate. you obviously need a sound base to start on but you'd probably want the same for hybrids too with regards to suspension etc.

my reasoning was you could do the minimum setup to make it safe, reliable and usable in the mean time and use it sensibly.

then when funds allow, add RLTC as well as other supporting mods to allow you to take the setup further.

If you start with a small single on relatively low boost then i'm not so sure you'd be talking monster power over bpu in any case.

We're on the same page mate.My hybrids wer £2500 fitted.I nearly had a canary!I have just added an Aeromotive fpr with Earl lines inc.fuel dampener bypass ,650 PE injectors and e-manage blue.A turbo,manifold and 3"downpipe and i think i'm away.Have just about everything else inc RLTC.No more cash left though.Time will come.

Thanks for the replies so far guys... I'll check out Turbotechnics - any other recommendations?

As I mentioned, I don't want to (actually, make that can't :( ) really spend more money than absoulutely necessary - so "saving the money and going single" is definitely out of the question! Believe me, if that wasn't the case I'd have posted a different question ;) !

I would have joined in this discussion last night but as well as a busted turbo I've got a busted PC!! Great...