The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake pads - should rears wear out before fronts?

Homer

In every other car I've owned I've been through several set of front pads for each set of rears. However, yet again the rears have got down to the metal (oops) while the fronts still have a good amount of meat left.

Is this normal for Supra's?

They're Chris Wilson fast road pads (which are bloody great) and have been on the car for approx 15k miles. I've only done 3 burnouts in this time (santa pod) and one track day - all the other miles is motorway stuff (plenty of high speed braking though).

you driving with the hand brake on again? :p

Why would that matter? ;)

Fronts should wear faster than the rears but in my experience there isn't a huge amount of difference in it, I'd suggest you have sticky rear callipers - any excessive heat if you touch the wheel after a run?

Could it be sticking calipers?

Now that one side is down to the metal I can still hear it rubbing even after releasing the brake pedal.

ive had this with mine, i thought it was the front pads scraping

and it was. but there was plenty of meat left on the pads, so its possible it could be the fronts, but yes, if you know its the rear then it might be :)

Fronts should wear faster than the rears but in my experience there isn't a huge amount of difference in it, I'd suggest you have sticky rear callipers - any excessive heat if you touch the wheel after a run?

They do get hot, but no where near as hot as the fronts, I wouldn't say it was excessive. If no one else gets this it must be sticky calipers, I can't see that much else would cause it.

ive had this with mine, i thought it was the front pads scraping

and it was. but there was plenty of meat left on the pads, so its possible it could be the fronts, but yes, if you know its the rear then it might be :)

This is definitely the rear (passenger side if that matters ;) )

And Jamie, no, I have some mechanical sympathy for the car... but not a lot :D

the rear brakes only do about 30% of the breaking so you should be changing the front 3 times to every 1 of the rear !

Thats not right, braking effort at the hubs doesn't equate to pad wear. I had always thought Supra's were about 50/50 on the wear, but mine is always wearing quicker on the rears.

Do you have the same pads on the front Homie?

Yes, they are CW fast roads all round. They were all installed at the same time and had brand new discs (and lines, fluid, etc) at the same time. The pads I had on previously wore the same though...

It's got to be the calipers....

It's either a general comment or a fact ;)

It sounds more like the kind of bias I'd expect with a disc / drum combo on a front-engined, front wheel drive car to be honest.

put it this way if the rear brakes did the same amount or more than the front every time you touched the brakes you would spin and skid causing overstear on bends and rear wheel lock up in a straight line

Have you had the wheels off and checked that all 4 pads are wearing even, rather than to the metal on the inside and like new on the outside? Have you tried taking it for a drive, jacking the back up with the handbrake off and seeing if you can turn the wheels by hand?

put it this way if the rear brakes did the same amount or more than the front every time you touched the brakes you would spin and skid causing overstear on bends and rear wheel lock up in a straight line

I'm not saying that the rears do the same or more though, just suggesting that it's not a 70/30 split :)

Yeah, sounds like you've got some kinda brake bias issue there, either that or you drive around with your handbrake on :D

Then technically that would wear the shoes inside the drums rather than the pads..

You are taking the handbrake off though ain't you Daz??

Have you had the wheels off and checked that all 4 pads are wearing even, rather than to the metal on the inside and like new on the outside? Have you tried taking it for a drive, jacking the back up with the handbrake off and seeing if you can turn the wheels by hand?

Very good point Graham, I see where you're coming from. I'll have a butchers tomorrow and post up the results.

If it is a sticking sliding caliper which side would wear the worse?

it would depend on which side was sticking ! when you changed the pads last time were they all worn evenly ?

How many miles you getting on the rear pads ?

Jack the rear up and run the car up to 30 ish and then select neutral. if the wheels stop quickly and dont free run you know you have a problem.

Don't forget to take the handbrake off !