The mkiv Supra Owners Club

5mt topspeed and strenth?

bkvj

hi all,

next year i want to buy an aerotop and convert it to a single turbo at a later point.

I've read that the 5 mt is more fun to drive, but you do lose some topend speed. i know the 6mt has a rough topend of 180mph, but how much does the 5mt loose?

and what about strength? the getrag is near indistructable apperntly, but what about the 5mt then?

My final question as i read so many things i just dont know whats the truth anymore; is there a 6sp aerotop (possible import only)

thanks,

bas

You can use the 5 speed box, while it is not as strong as the 6.. it is a lot cheaper and can handle roughly 500bhp....takes a little off the topend but not enough to really worry about it...

Are you sure Gav, didn't a fella blow his 5speed box up just last week after he went NA-T?

bkvj, I'm not sure where you're getting your info from but I've only ever seen one person on the forum (and even then I don't know if that comment came from a newbie) say the 5 speed is better to drive. Personally, I'd hate to have one, the gear ratio's are too long to get the most out of it.

Isn't the 5 speed diff a lot weaker too?

what im saying is - You buy an auto aerotop , rip out the auto box, and put in a 6sp manual..

That = a 6sp aerotop :)

riiiiiiight.

so basically just what i said in my first post then, there are no 6sp aerotop TT's (from the factory, in RHD which i'm assuming is what he was asking)

Are you sure Gav, didn't a fella blow his 5speed box up just last week after he went NA-T?

bkvj, I'm not sure where you're getting your info from but I've only ever seen one person on the forum (and even then I don't know if that comment came from a newbie) say the 5 speed is better to drive. Personally, I'd hate to have one, the gear ratio's are too long to get the most out of it.

I may be off on the figures, but I've heard people having some good luck with the high power - 400-500 flywheel power (all heresay), and I will only comment for sure once I've put mine in...

The thing is, you can pick up a 5speed for a HELL of a lot cheaper than a 6.. If you aren't running silly power, it will hold it fairly well.. and if it goes pop, well they aren't overly pricey (£200 ish)....

Just answered my own question - it is weaker and has a far lower final drive (geared for the longer ratios of the 5 speed).

This means that although the top gear ratio is the same, the top speed is much lower.

Now that I'm on the single, I could honestly do with a 7th gear for motorway cruising, it screams a little bit at 100mph and really doesn;t need to rev so high to maintain the speed. The 5 speed would be up in the 4000rpm bracket at this speed!

I may be off on the figures, but I've heard people having some good luck with the high power - 400-500 flywheel power (all heresay), and I will only comment for sure once I've put mine in...

The thing is, you can pick up a 5speed for a HELL of a lot cheaper than a 6.. If you aren't running silly power, it will hold it fairly well.. and if it goes pop, well they aren't overly pricey (£200 ish)....

The R154 transmission from the 1jz is an option and will prob hold more power than the w85 but to be honest I would'nt really trust either, If I were going to do it, I would make sure all parts of the transmission were built and uprated first......

i read that in the for sale section...

The W85 gearbox is no good then, i would prefer some reliability and assurance you know:D.

as im going to work offshore (big ££:D) and most of my friends/family live in holland, i would be going there every month when im off the oil rig, and proberly weekends at the nurburgring aswell. so a bit off topspeed driving is always fun.

also my best mates dad(he's awesome, knows his things but just doesnt want to be beat by a japanese car:D) used to have a 550 maranello, and he always said 'jap's crap' and that no japanese car could ever beat his car. I have always said i would prove him wrong..and now im about to go to college for to study the oil stuff i could make this well possible (while getting a lot more driving skill doing trackdays offcourse). (time to rub it in his face:D).

An already modified aerotop 6sp would be awesome to find, or else im just going for the 'normal' coupe:)

EDIT:

i must say i do live in the UK and for the time being i plan it to stay like that, i dont want an LHD car as of yet, or even ever want one lol

An already modified aerotop 6sp would be awesome to find

Problem is there are only 3 or 4 in existence in RHD

also my best mates dad used to have a 550 maranello, and he always said 'jap's crap' and that no japanese car could ever beat his car.

I can assure you a single turbo supra has no problem with a 550, I had a play with one (looney owner) from Swindon to Reading on Sunday and had no problem leaving him at any speed (corners might be a bit different though... ;) )

Problem is there are only 3 or 4 in existence in RHD

oh right, no need to worry about an aerotop then:D

I can assure you a single turbo supra has no problem with a 550, I had a play with one (looney owner) from Swindon to Reading on Sunday and had no problem leaving him at any speed (corners might be a bit different though... ;) )

nice. they really are awesome cars and i respect both...he just doesnt know (or doesnt WANT to know it:D ) that japanese cars can be just as fast round a track.

6sp TT shall be my purchase then...:)

thanks guys:D

What about chassis roll and twisting in a single aerotop? Rich (TrickTT) took me out in his the other day and the ride was brilliant on stock j-spec tubbies. Lovely spool, sound, power delivery and drive, but occasional chassis flexing through some of the bends and on idling over smaller bumps etc.

I would imagine a large, or even a fairly mid sized single would be a PITA to handle on numerous occasions - no?

Forgive my ignorance if this isn't the case, but Rich pointed this out with his stock TT and surely upping the power is going to heighten the feel of chassis flexing.

W58 5-Sp box is only good for 350lb/ft torque from what I've read. All too easy to exceed with a 2JZ-GTE bolted to it!

The R154 5-Sp from the Mk3 Supra Turbo is a better bet with around 500lb/ft torque handling capability from what I've read, but as is the consensus here you're much better just going for a V160 / v161 Getrag 6-Sp from the outset for correctly matched torque handling capacity and ratios.

Cheers,

Brian.

What about chassis roll and twisting in a single aerotop? Rich (TrickTT) took me out in his the other day and the ride was brilliant on stock j-spec tubbies. Lovely spool, sound, power delivery and drive, but occasional chassis flexing through some of the bends and on idling over smaller bumps etc.

I would imagine a large, or even a fairly mid sized single would be a PITA to handle on numerous occasions - no?

Forgive my ignorance if this isn't the case, but Rich pointed this out with his stock TT and surely upping the power is going to heighten the feel of chassis flexing.

do you mean having a non aerotop, but modify the roof so its an aerotop? (sorry i've only lived here for two years so every now and then i just get mildly confused).

sounds interesting, and i want a full rollcage anyways (safety reasons + stiffer chassis) so i could do that...

W58 5-Sp box is only good for 350lb/ft torque from what I've read. All too easy to exceed with a 2JZ-GTE bolted to it!

The R154 5-Sp from the Mk3 Supra Turbo is a better bet with around 500lb/ft torque handling capability from what I've read, but as is the consensus here you're much better just going for a V160 / v161 Getrag 6-Sp from the outset for correctly matched torque handling capacity and ratios.

Cheers,

Brian.

cheers, that explains it then:)

i believe the V161 (from the facelift to i believe) has a slightly shorter 6th gear doesnt it?

do you mean having a non aerotop, but modify the roof so its an aerotop? (sorry i've only lived here for two years so every now and then i just get mildly confused).

sounds interesting, and i want a full rollcage anyways (safety reasons + stiffer chassis) so i could do that...

No mate - how did you work that one out? :search:

I mean, is there going to be any point putting a single in any Aerotop as the chassis roll is apparent even in it's stock form?

No mate - how did you work that one out? :search:

I mean, is there going to be any point putting a single in any Aerotop as the chassis roll is apparent even in it's stock form?

lol sorry, i was watching a movie so i didnt read it properly:rolleyes: .

i understand it now, and chassis role could well be a problem then.

i guess put it more chassis bracing, a rollcage and some welding on weak spots would sort it out well though...

i really want as close as possible to 0 chassis roll tbh, and in stock form allready having it thats really bad. i myself dont mind a stiff ride, im getting 8/6 kg/mm coilovers on my s13 which will be daily ridden so when i get a supra that would be a lot different!

i'll see whats up for sale when im in the market for one though:D