The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Creaking rear end...

cheekymonkey

Hi All

I feel like I'm over-using this forum but it's such a great resource... with time I'll be able to help with newbie ish questions as well.

I get a creaking from the rear of the car when going over speed bumps etc. More obvious when there's a back seat / boot full of camping gear!

It's seems to be even - not coming from any particular side. Can anyone suggest the most likely cause of this and a possible resolution?

Cheers!

Most likely boost rubbers - common fault.

Easy way to check - get a new set and fit them :)

Right. I have the part number from a search but now need to know if this is the sort of thing I'd get from a main dealer, or from a nice person on here?

Also - if I order one off 67293-14051 would I get 1 set, or 1 rubber only?

Boot rubbers, I agree

Mine did this, I kept spraying halfords spray grease on them and it went away, its now seemingly absorbed a load and I dont need to do it anymore. Good to know before you try and buy and fit new ones.

Cool. Might try that. If in doubt, apply Lard. :D

I replaced mine last year and the noise went. Apparently they are cheap from Mr T (its a first). You only need to replace the lower ones, which are a bstard to undo. Be careful not to loose patience like i did with the screws and end up having to hacksaw them off.

Be careful not to loose patience like i did with the screws and end up having to hacksaw them off.

Like he said, they can be a bit*ch to get off. It helps to WD40 the screws from the top and from behind a few days before.

If you can't undo the screws you can hack/pull the rubber off the backing plate and get mole grips on the heads and a bit of heat behind with one of those micro blow torches & spray with WD40 (not while heating or else :bang: ). Comes out nice and easy :)

Hi All

I had a look at this last night. I think the boot rubbers have already been replaced, since there was a small bag with an old one in it supplied with the car.

Also - I had the boot open, and manually rocked the back end up and down, and got a little bit of the same noise.

So I guess it's either shocks or suspension, any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

if its not the rubbers (i would still replace them for peace of mind and to rule them out as a problem) it could be the sub frame bolts need to be re-torqued, do you have after market suspension or top mounts?

I may try and go over a speed bump later with the boot open to rule that out *grin*

AFAIK I don't have any aftermarket suspension bits. I will probably find an expert for that sort of thing, engines I am fine with but structural things scare me.

Do you think any competent garage would be OK with this sort of thing?