The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A LOUD bang and loads of smoke - Turbo 2 gone bye-bye?

Sheefa

Well, surely this is the sign I knew was coming.

Took the car for a drive today for about 25 minutes. It was only a light run as I just wanted to see if the smoke would clear, massive problems recently. Before I set off, I checked the oil on the dipstick - just below full, and there was two distinct oil patches on the drive. One by the exhaust exit and the other by the sump plug - I think. The exhaust had an oil residue in the exit pipe, think oil all round so it had been burning it or running through a seal somewhere.

Anyway, started her up had unlike yesterday, and was surprised she didn't smoke at all. Kept the boost to 1.1 on the run and only used the first turbo really around town. Got onto the Country roads and gave her a bit, and once the second turbo kicked in I could see a blue haze of smoke with grey too behind the car. On lift-off, the same, until once again it cleared using turbo 1. CONVINCED this is turbo 2 oil seal. I kept off for a bit and no smoke, or minimal a least every now and then.

Coming back home, about 3 mins away, same boost I give her a little thrash peaking at 1.25, I come to a bend and lift off when all of a sudden I hear an ALMIGHTY BANG. Not good. A plume of white smoke comes out the back so I pull over luckily into a layby right next to me. Im only about 1.5miles from my house. I left the engine running as got no warning lights and ticking over there was only the usual small puffs of white smoke. When I moved off after doing the Intercooler hose checks etc, she puffed a lot for a few seconds and then calmed down again.

Drove home under 1500rpm where there was little, if any smoke and got home safely onto the drive.

Turbo Number 2 blown do we think and another trip to Turbofit needed? They are under waranty, but again, more work, more expense, little time before the Dragonball and yet ANOTHER fecking problem. :rolleyes:

Greg

Greg, make sure you check ALL your hoses get underneath the car and check them. Don't assume the worst when it could just be a popped off hose especially with the loud bang/smoke thang.

Fingers crossed bud.

Thanks mate, I'll try and slide under there now.

Even so, I'm positive the seals are going on the second turbo! It smokes like an absolute Jamaican when under boost! Bluey grey too.

So Envy will honour the guarantee of their hybrids even though it was the previous owner of your car who bought them? That is very good service, seeing as they don't have to.

Bloody hybrids are more trouble than they're worth though. So many times folks have had recently fitted hybrids fail. Nightmare.

Gaz will chuck it back at the guys that did the work anyway and as far as they're concerned it's the same car/owner etc I imagine. Still very good of the Envy boys to be forthcoming with the help to do this of course.

In a way I'm glad this has happened as you should at least now get to the crux of the problem!?

That's what I was thinking Pete. I was pretty sure it may be the oil seals and was actually happy to pay labour even as a check, and now I think it certainly is.

I've atached a few pics - can't see any hoses off but then I'm a pleb at this sort of thing anyway. All Intercooler hoses are secured too.

What's that redudant pipe too? It was off prior to me taking the car out and never noticed it before without the undertray off. Is it for the Rad expansion tank - although I can't see it links to this though?

Also, I found this cream like goo stuff in my exhaust exit as well as a layer of wet oil all round - any ideas.

God, this car is a bitch. Rest assured wen I sell her after the Dragonball, it will MOST CERTAINLY NOT be to another forum member! :)

Greg

CIMG2268.JPG

CIMG2270.JPG

CIMG2271.JPG

CIMG2272.JPG

CIMG2274.JPG